Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thursday Feb 18th by Nicole

Today's readings are from Leviticus 7:1-8:36

I must apologise in advance for keeping it brief today, I am short of time today! I wasn't able to read the post before so I don't know what was touched on, I again apologise for that.

The reading starts with explanation about the guilt offering. In my Bible it says in the notes it is where restitution is possible, the sin offering is where it is not possible. I guess I don't really understand what an unintentional sin was or why there was a need for an offering, I mean if they didn't intend to sin then why the offering? Anyway. I thought it was interesting that this one and the sin offering is the only one that is said to be "most holy".

The fellowship offering is then explained. An offering of thankfulness for the deliverance from troubles, death and sickness and the thankfulness for blessings recieved.

The thing that I was stumped on was in chapter 8:23. Why did Moses put the blood on the right ear, thumb and big toe. I did some research and found an explanation on a Jewish website, you can see here. "When the blood was placed on the right ear, right hand, and right toe of Aharon and his sons they entered a covenant with HaShem that required them to dedicate their lives hearing, doing, and walking in HaShem's will." The symbolism all made sense and I thought it was so beautiful, whereas before I read that I thought it was just strange LOL.

What spoke to you today?
Tomorrows reading is from Leviticus 9:1-11:47

3 comments:

Jen Milne said...

This is what stood out to me:
7As is the sin offering, so is the guilt or trespass offering; there is one law for them: the priest who makes atonement with it shall have it.

Jesus made atonement for me in my sin and therefore I am His, He shall have me. I find that beautiful.

Jen Milne said...

Oh, and thanks for the explanation on the ear, hand & toe, Nicole. I am so happy to know that. :)

Tammy said...

I love that symbolism of the ear, hand and toe - thanks for sharing that Nic!

Unintentional sin - this is why it is so important for us to study our Bible, so we know clearly what God calls sin. God's holiness does not change depending on our knowledge and understanding. And so when we sin unintentionally, we are still sinning, we are still guilty and we need to be restored.

Nowadays - the blood of Christ covers these unintentional sins. If they are revealed to us, we need to confess and repent and we will be forgiven. It is wise to pray to God for Him to reveal any sin in our lives, or any weakness that we need to work on.

Here is a commentary that discusses this more.