Monday, April 12, 2010

April 12th

Today's reading from the One Year Chronological Reading Plan is 1 Chronicles 9:35-39, 1 Samuel 13:1-5, 13:19-23, 13:6-18 and 14:1-52

Commentaries on today's passages:
Saul Sacrifices His Kingdom (1 Samuel 13:1-14)
Saul, Jonathan and the Philistines (1 Samuel 13:15-14:15)
Saul Fights the Philistines (1 samuel 14:16-52)

What a difference between Saul and his son Jonathan.

After Saul's righteous anger resulting in him mustering the army, defeating the Ammonites and becoming crowned as King (in yesterday's readings) - it's pretty much downhill from there.

Saul doesn't wait for Samuel and disobediently offers a sacrifice to the Lord, he takes credit for Jonathan's victories, he doesn't want to fight the Philistines, he makes rash oathes (possibly wanting to be rid of Jonathan for the same reason as he later wants to be rid of David - jealousy and insecurity) and foolish decisions.

Jonathan, on the other hand, puts his faith and trust in God, and follows up that faith with active obedience.

Saul is not an "evil" man. He allows his struggles with normal human weakness and sin (pride, jealousy, insecurity) to become his downfall. He does not go to God with his weakness. He does not confess his sin - instead, he rationalizes and excuses it.

All of which is completely applicable to us today. Are we allowing pride, jealousy or anything else to gain a foothold in our lives? Sin tends to sneak up on us (often following great victories, like Saul). And it's amazing how quickly footholds can become strongholds. How quickly we can harden our hearts to the sin we try to justify. We cannot allow our pride or anything else, to stop us from confessing our sin to God.

Instead, let us be like David, Saul's successor, who confessed his sin (and they were big ones - adultery and murder!) and turned to God.

Psalm 51
Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.

Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.

Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are proved right when you speak
and justified when you judge.

Surely I was sinful at birth,
sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

Surely you desire truth in the inner parts;
you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones you have crushed rejoice.

Hide your face from my sins
and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.

Save me from bloodguilt, O God,
the God who saves me,
and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.

O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.

In your good pleasure make Zion prosper;
build up the walls of Jerusalem.

Then there will be righteous sacrifices,
whole burnt offerings to delight you;
then bulls will be offered on your altar.

Tomorrow's passage: 1 Samuel 15:1-17:31

1 comment:

tammi said...

I really noticed the contrast between Saul and Jonathan here, too. Interesting how Saul was surrounded by godly men ~ Jonathan, David, Samuel ~ and yet he didn't ever seem particularly inspired or influenced by them. He eventually admits to failure in the righteousness department a couple times during his life, but still never really seems to develop a thirst for God.