Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday April 26 - PamJ

I apologize for the lateness of this post!

Today's reading from One-Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 1 Chronicles 20:1; 2 Samuel 11-12:14; Psalm 51; 2 Samuel 12:15-25; 2 Samuel 5:14-16; 1 Chronicles 14:3-7; 1 Chronicles 3:5-9.

2 Samuel Chapter 11 explains of David's lust for Bethsheba, wife of Uriah the Hittite.  He slept with her (after first seeing her bathing from atop his roof), sent her home then called upon his husband and eventually put him in the front lines to fight.  In other words the most dangerous spot and put him to death.

2 Samuel 11:26 When Uriah's wife heard that her husband was dead, she mourned for him. 27 After the time of mourning was over, David had her brought to his house, and she became his wife and bore him a son. But the thing David had done displeased the LORD.

Nathan later came to David, telling him of a parallel story of what David had done.  David's response was anger!  And said the man who did that deserves to die and pay for the lamb four times over.  Nathan tells him YOU are the man. And will be punished by the Lord and so all his wives will be given to one who is close to him and will lay with them in broad daylight.

David recognized his sin and the Lord took it away.

In Psalm 51 David pleads with God to cleanse him from sin's stain. More on this later...

Back to 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles, after Nathan had left Uriah and David's child became ill.  At this time David fasted in hopes the Lord may be gracious and spare the child, though on the seventh day he dies.  David's servants thinks it odd when David gets up and washes, changes and eats.

David goes to comfort Bethsheba, lays again with her, later giving birth to another son naming him Jedidia. And the Lord loved him!  And David had thirteen more children after that.

Psalm 51:1-12 Salvation (lesson from Touch Point Bible)

"David had committed adultery and murder. In this psalm, he pleads with God to cleanse him from sin's stain. The image is not one of a superficial wiping away but one of a deep scrubbing of the soul. The result of David's confession is a heart made not merely clean but white as snow and then filled with the joy of salvation. Have you ever wondered if God could forgive you? David's prayer assures us that no matter how dark the stain, we can be made white and pure by God's forgiveness and cleansing. Make this psalm your daily prayer of personal confession."

2 Wash me clean from my guilt, purify me from my sin.

Prayer - Oh Lord, you know our transgressions.  Your love is unfailing. Wash me CLEAN, and purify me from my sin.  Help me to recognize that sin. I ask you to give me back my joy again and I will rejoice!  Create in my a clean heart O God, renew a right spirit within me.... Amen.

I also just have to mention that I really like this Chronological reading because I might not have otherwise known that David had asked for forgiveness from the Lord if I had just read 2 Samuel!

Now go and do good!  


Tomorrow's reading is 2 Samuel 12:26-31, 1 Chronicles 20:2-3, 2 Samuel 13:1-14:33.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Thanks Pam.

What a sad story this is. How does someone who has lived a life of faith and trust in God stoop to adultery and murder? It seems unfathomable. Thankfully, David was able to admit his sin, and to desire reconciliation with God. I think that is something that is hard to do when we fall. Our desire to continue in the sin, or our pride can both stop us from repenting.