Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursday 8th April- Nicole's post

Todays readings are from Ruth 4:13-22, 1 Chronicles 2:9-55, 1 Chronicles 4:1-23 and 1 Samuel 1:1-8

The readings today are all over the place really LOL

For me what touched me was how Ruth and Boaz didn't object to Naomi sort of adopting their son in a way. It showed how loving, selfless and faithful Ruth was to her mother in law. I did find it interesting that they didn't have any other children though.

The prayer of Jabez has been covered alot in the popular book series. I remember reading the book when it first came out, and now thinking of it, its not really as AWESOME as the church I attended at the time made it out to be. It was alot of "me" focus which I don't like.

Tomorrow's passage: 1 Samuel 1:9-4:11

3 comments:

tammi said...

I have that book as well and am not nearly as impressed as I once was. I choose to believe that means I've grown spiritually and my discernment is a little keener!

I think the part I like most about the whole book of Ruth is Naomi's journey. She starts out happy, wealthy, married and mothering, to depressed, bitter, destitute and virtually alone. But then through Ruth's amazing love and beautiful, generous servant-heart, Naomi's restored to a place where all her physical needs are met again, to victory, joy, peace, and she's given the gift of a grandchild with the obvious honour of being included in his life, even though he isn't a biological descendent. She comes full circle.

Tammy said...

Nic - I thought the same thing about the "adopting" thing!

I wonder if Naomi's faith continued to grow deeper after the birth of her grandchild.

Jen Milne said...

Oh, I like to think it did! :) God didn't hesitate to meet Naomi right where she was, in an emotional state of poor me and He blessed her immeasurably. I like to think that her faith grew beyond her feelings and into true trust in God.

Here is a list of 4 things that John MacD. gave today:

Life Lessons from the story of Ruth

1. Don't quit or you'll miss the miracle. (Orpah)
When the 2 women were making their decisions to stay or leave, they weren't making geographical decisions, they were making a spiritual one. We all must make our own decision to step toward the Cross of Christ.

2. Don't let your feelings dictate your faith (Naomi)
In the midst of her circumstances, she gave in to how it felt instead of walking in faith. I know I do this more times than I care to admit to myself. Feelings are carnal, fickle, and don't matter as much as we give them credit for.

3. Choose to do right for God blesses obedience (Boaz)
What a picture of Godliness!

4. Step out in faith and God will reward you. (Ruth)
Ruth wasn't even Jewish, yet she had enough faith to take a risk and trust God.