Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 15-guest post by Pamela

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Psalm 131, 133, 138-141, 143.

These verses hold some of my favourites:
Psalm 139
1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.

2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

Also from Psalm 139
13
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

But the one I would like to focus on today is:

Scripture:

Psalm 139:17 &18

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand.

Observation:

How can we feel insignificant when the creator of the Universe has us in His thoughts?

Application:

One summer I spent a week being a day camp counselor at my cousin's church. This verse was used in one of the Bible application lessons and it has always stuck with me. Each child was given a sheet of black paper, a teaspoon of sand, and a toothpick. They were asked to use the toothpick to separate the grains of sand and to try to count them. Have you ever tried this?? Try it sometime. After some painstaking attempts it was quickly discovered that it was next to impossible to count each grain. The director shared Psalm 139:17&18 with the children and told them that the exercise in counting the grains of sand was to remind them that God thought about them more than there are grains of sand on the earth. What a comforting thought. When we feel alone, discouraged, helpless, or afraid, God is there thinking about us and knowing us and our needs. I hope each of those kids took the message of this passage to heart, and still remember it as I do, even all these years later. This summer, as you spend time at the beach, pick up a handful of sand and let it run through your fingers as you look closely at each grain and remember these verses.

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, thank you for being who you are. Our finite human minds cannot truly comprehend you on this side of paradise. In your infinite wisdom you have created us and know us intimately. Lord, sometimes we stumble and forget about how valuable we are to you. We can become sad and lonely and feel insignificant. Help us to remember that could not be further from the truth. Be with each of us and draw us all closer to you. Amen.

Tomorrow's Readings are Psalm 144-145; Psalm 88-89.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

That's a very cool object lesson Pam! Thanks for sharing.

I LOVE this Psalm!!!