Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday, May 4 - Miriam

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 1 Chronicles 26-28.

An introduction to the History books in the Old Testament calls 1 Chronicles 28 David's last instructions to the people and to Solomon.  The Lord had instructed King David that Solomon would be king after him and Solomon would be the one to build his temple, although he gave the instructions on the actual building to King David as well ("the plans of all that the Spirit had put in his mind" from chapter 28:12). 

The verses that stood out most to me were King David's words to his son Solomon.

Scripture:
"And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every motive behind the thoughts. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. Consider now, for the LORD has chosen you to build a temple as a sanctuary. Be strong and do the work."  1 Chronicles 28:9-10

Observation:
God sees our hearts.  He knows our motivations.  This was something important that King Saul failed to remember.  It's not only what we do that matters, but the spirit in which we do it.

Application:
We're going to screw up.  This is inevitable.  But if we seek God, we shall find him, and if we are wholeheartedly devoted and willing - willing to follow God, willing to accept God's plan rather than our own, willing to love and serve as we are called, willing to try again when we fail - I believe that God gives us "marks for showing our work", so to speak, and he will perfect the end result.  "Be strong and do the work."  That might be my new favourite verse.  But also, do the work not just to get it done, but with wholehearted devotion and a willing mind. 

Sometimes it feels like being on maternity leave - looking after the kids, preparing meals, cleaning, doing laundry, etc. and so on - is relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things.  After all, when it comes to serving God, I'm not a missionary, or a minister, or a Bible study leader, or a Sunday School teacher.  On a less Biblical but still important list of occupations, I don't teach school, I'm not a doctor, or a nurse, or an environmentalist, etc.  In fact, some might say I'm an underachiever.  In another year, I will be the only one of four children who doesn't have a university degree.  My contributions will be seen by some as being small compared to those of others, but to my husband, my children, the children I will be caring for while their parents are at work, the women in my Bible study, and people I come in contact with in my community, at least, I can be of service.  So I'm going to be strong and do the work, and God will use my efforts, even things that seem unimportant, as a part of his all-encompassing, perfect plan.

Prayer:
Heavenly Father, thank you so much for your Word and everything you have been teaching us as we're studying it together.  Thank you for the gifts you've given to each one of us.  We pray that you would reveal your will for each of us and give us the desire and the strength to follow it.  We know that you see and hear not only our actions and our prayers, but our hearts and our motivations as well.  Help us to remember that even the small, seemingly unimportant things of our everyday lives are still setting an example to those around us, especially the attitude in which we do it and not just the action itself.  Help us to be strong and do the work, and help us also to trust that you will coordinate all these things as parts of your perfect plan.  In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

Tomorrow's reading is 1 Chronicles 29:1-22 and 1 Kings 1.

4 comments:

tammi said...

Great post, Miriam! I love that phrase too, and definitely need to remind myself of it a little more often!! (like, probably on a daily or even hourly basis!)

Miriam said...

Yes, my attitude could definitely use some fine-tuning, especially some days! For the most part I'm a pretty cheerful, optimistic person, but we all have days where we'd rather be doing ANYTHING else other than what we are doing or should be doing.

tammi said...

You make it sound like those days are the exception for you... I'm afraid they're probably the rule around here!

::sigh:: On that note, I guess I better turn OFF my computer if I expect to get anything done yet today.

Tammy said...

Great post Miriam.

I am saddened by society's view of the job of SAHM. And I am saddened by the way SAHM's feel about their jobs.

I believe that there is no job more important than that of a SAHM (or dad).

Truly.

We are training the future generation. We are instilling values into our kids that will affect the world. Investing in our children is the single most effective way to influence society.