Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 12th

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Jeremiah 23:33-24:10, 29:1-31:14

I feel like my thoughts are going in two completely different directions in response to today's passage and I'm not sure where to go with that. So, I think I'm going to mention both of them, and try not to make this too long!

The first thing I noticed was the huge amount of hopeful verses given to the exiled people of Judah. I have noticed these verses before, and indeed, many of them are common memory verses. But what I have not noticed abuot these verses before is their context.

As we've discussed for a long time now, the people of Judah had basically sunk into such an evil depravity that God was finally punishing them with the consequences He had informed them of way back when they first entered the Promised Land. Things had finally got to the point where severe punishment was necessary - both simply for justifiable punishment reasons, and in an attempt to draw them back into a relationship with God once more. The people of Judah are finally conquered by the Babylonians (and seiges are none too pleasant!) and sent into exile (not a fun walk in the park either) and THAT is the context of these amazing verses of promise and hope....

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

So you will be my people, and I will be your God. Jeremiah 30:22

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

and numerous verses that talk about God bringing His people back and restoring them. What beautiful hope-filled promises in the midst of such a difficult (though deserved!) time.

My next train of thought....
"Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it propsers, you too will prosper." Jeremiah 29:5-7
Obviously this was intended to let the exiles know that they were going to be in exile for a good while (not happy news for them) and contains great advice on how to deal with living in this city.

But I think it is equally applicable to us and our sojourn here on earth, in whatever city God has placed us in, while we wait to be brought out of exile and restored to God forever on the New Earth. Reread that passage, thinking of it in those terms. Does it make you passionate about being a light where you live?

Here is one sermon that discusses this idea a bit. A visiting preacher talked about this exact passage in our church about a year ago and I really appreciated that viewpoint on this passage, but I couldn't find a copy of that sermon.

Apparently I actually had 3 trains of thought, and here is the 3rd one...
"This is what the Lord says: " 'Your wound is incurable, your injury beyond healing. There is no one to plead your cause, no remedy for your sore, no healing for you.' " Jeremiah 30:12-13

What a great description of our eternal plight. Our wound is incurable. We have absolutely no cure for the disease of sin that will keep us separated from a holy God for all eternity. God did not have to save us. God did not have to provide a way to cure this disease. God was fully in His right to punish us eternally by separating us from Him forever in hell.

But (and never has the word "but" been so glorious!) He did anyway. Grace. Mercy. Sacrifice. Servanthood. Why? Because He loves us with an everlasting love. Completely undeserved mercy. Thank you Father!

Tomorrow's passage: Jeremiah 31:15-40, 49:34-51:14

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Very good thoughts, Tammy.