Friday, August 27, 2010

August 27 ~ tammi

So in the book of Jeremiah, we see the prophet predicting and anticipating the annihilation of Jerusalem and the scattering of the Jews and here in Lamentations, we see him reflecting on the aftermath.

I read something about Jeremiah the other day (but of course I forget what and where!) ~ it was just a passing comment in a list of OT prophets, but it said something to the effect of, "and then there was Jeremiah, who was just crying all the time..." And I was a little stunned by the disrespect and ignorance; how little understanding of Jeremiah's message and what moved his heart the writer seemed to have. And then I realized I probably would have said the same thing until this year's examination of the Bible. This has been a really good exercise, Tammy, I'm so glad you had this idea!!

I think of Jeremiah now, recognizing how sinful his nation was and being grieved at their spiritual condition. I think, as time went on and the Israelites continued on their ever-quickening path to destruction despite his warnings, that he must have been near panic at times as he foresaw their imminent subversion. I wonder if his speeches didn't get shorter, more frequent, more frantic, as time went on. I imagine many of his tears could have been tears of frustration and fear for the lives and souls of the people of Judah and Jerusalem.

We've all seen movies where the fear sets in slowly, but once the magnitude of what's inevitable is understood, the panic, the frantic attempts at escape are always accompanied by tears. That's kind of how I imagine Jeremiah. Trying to keep his beloved country from utter ruin, but his warnings and escape solutions (repentance) constantly falling on deaf ears... I can only imagine the hopelessness and frustration he must have felt.

Miraculously, only by the hand of God, Jeremiah is treated deferentially by the king of Babylon and allowed to return to live among the remnant ~ the poor and sick who were left behind. And now there's new reason to weep.

The devastation is complete; the horrors almost unspeakable. Normally compassionate and loving mothers cooking up and eating their children to avoid starvation; formerly strong young men unrecognizable under blood-caked wounds and emaciated bodies; infants dying of dehydration and starvation; dead bodies littering the streets.... These are heart-wrenchingly graphic passages.

And yet, in the midst of all this, we find Jeremiah's faith in God unshaken: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. (Jer. 3:22-26)

Jeremiah knew God. He understood God. "Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come? Why should any living man complain when punished for his sins?" (3:38-39)

This reminds me so much, again, of the testimony of Rachel Barkey that was mentioned here a couple of weeks ago. Under horrible circumstances, she displayed the peace and grace that can only come from an incredible faith and an uncommon understanding of who God is. She urged people to get to know God, to know themselves, to know the Gospel, and to know their purpose ~ to have a correct view of all things and a faith that saves. Please click the above link and take the time to listen/watch if you haven't already.

'Jeremiah' by Michelangelo @ ArtInThePicture.comJeremiah had good cause to weep. I think we do, too.

But Jeremiah also had good cause to hope. We definitely have that, too!





Tomorrow's passages: Lamentations 5, Obadiah, 2 Kings 25:22-26, Jeremiah 40:7-41:18.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Lam 3:19-40 is one of my favorite passages of scripture. I remember doing a devotional on it my first summer with Teen Missions in Honduras when it was my turn to lead the group. I was so nerveous! (only 14) That passage spoke so much though and I knew it even then as a child really. Who has not felt that way before knowing the Lord? The dual occurance of God not wanting to have to bring these afflictions and yet him bringing them purposefully is a deep thing to ponder. I think you are so right about Jeremiah. He was probably numb too at times and I think Lamentations was a time for his heart to vent much of what he had been turning over and over.
The intensity of the images is almost too much for me to read and I still don't think in my little American mind, that I can grasp such horrors. Who really on the face of the earth has been pushed to such depravation? It has to be one of the lowest times EVER of human histroy, one of the greatest sorrows of His creation (let alone chosen people) that God had to watch unfold. Yet, it was part of his plan...again, we have the double quandry.
I see Jeremiah as a father left with children who need him in the remnant. I honestly don't know what happens specifically next with that remnant but I wonder if he was instrumental in ministering to those who would begin again before the others were brought back.
Great post Tammi.

Alicia said...

correction above..i didn't mean before knowing the Lord. I meant who has not felt that way before...having known the Lord.

Tammy said...

Those were some of my exact same thoughts. What an absolutely horrifice time - definitely beyond our North American ability to even begin to imagine. And Jeremiah knew it was PREVENTABLE! How could he NOT weep, out of frustration and despair beforehand, and utter desolation during the seige. Unspeakable.

And then in the midst of it all, those beautiful verses - incredible.