Thursday, August 5, 2010

August 5th

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Jeremiah 25:15-38, Jeremiah 36, 45-46

Once again I am struck by the importance of fearing the Lord.

In Jeremiah 36 we come to the story I mentioned earlier, about King Jehoiakim throwing the Word of God into a fire, as though burning it up would somehow render the prophesy null and void!

In every era there has been a spirit of the age that challenges our acceptance of Scripture. The temptation is to remove or alter those portions that seem old-fashioned.

Whether it’s the doctrine of hell or God’s view on sexual behavior, many feel pressured to reject parts of the Bible. Inevitably, some truths will be offensive in every day and age.

Centuries ago, a Jewish king was handed a scroll with a message from God. As the document was read aloud, the king took offense, and with a small knife he cut out a portion of the scroll and threw it into the fire. Eventually the entire text was thrown into the flames, yet the king and his servants who had heard the words of the Lord “were not afraid” (Jeremiah 36:24). In the end, the king lost his kingdom because of his disobedience.

When we selectively edit the Bible to suit our fancy, or neglect its teachings, we show that we do not fear God. Rather than submit to what He says, we exalt our own finite reason and fallible conscience above the inspired text.

When you’re tempted to overlook or ignore a portion of the Word of God, remember: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God” (2 Timothy 3:16). It tells us all we need to know to live a life that pleases Him. (emphasis mine, Our Daily Bread devotional - No Alteration Needed)

Try to imagine the following headline: “President Rips Up Constitution in Front of Cabinet Members!” In the United States, even if a president or other official disagrees with points in the Constitution, it is still respected and upheld. It would be ludicrous for anyone to believe that simply by ripping the Constitution into little pieces its validity was nullified.

Unfortunately, King Jehoiakim seemed to think that if he just cut up the scroll containing God’s Word and burned it, then the judgment it foretold would simply not happen. If his action weren’t so arrogant, we might even think it was funny.

There actually was a way for the coming judgment to be avoided, but it didn’t involve ripping up anything. Instead, it involved repentance (v. 3). Repentance was God’s purpose in sending His word to Jeremiah, and that was Jeremiah’s fervent hope when he sent Baruch to the temple (v. 7). But sadly neither the king nor the people opted for repentance. (Moody Bible Institute devotional)

What is missing here?
What is missing when we deliberately rebel against God's word?
What is missing when we flippantly disregard His Word as unimportant or irrelevant to our daily lives?
What is missing when we pick and choose verses out of context to support our own definition of truth?
What is missing when we do not proclaim the Word of God for fear of persecution or being mocked?
What is missing when we try to justify our sin, even though God's view on sin is so clearly stated in His Word?
What is missing when we brazenly mistake God's lack of immediate disciplinary action to mean He condones or even blesses our sin?

What is missing? A fear of the Lord.

I've heard this song so many times recently, especially during our talks of fearing the Lord, and I think it's so beautiful, and so fitting.

What Do I Know of Holy? from YouTube

What Do I Know of Holy? Addison Road

I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all No
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame?
And a God who gave life "its" name?
What do I know of Holy?
Of the One who the angels praise?
All creation knows Your name
On earth and heaven above
What do I know of this love?

What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?

What do I know of Holy?
What do I know of Holy?


Tomorrow's passage: Jeremiah 19-20, Daniel 1

1 comment:

Pamela said...

The words of that song echo in my heart every time I hear it. CHVN once had one of those "cartoon strip" radio commercials and it was for the New "erasable bible" Now you can just erase the parts that you don't like! It was meant to be funny but isn't it true that we do tend to ignore the parts we don't like...and isn't that almost the same as erasing it or throwing it into the fire?