Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saturday, October 2-guest post by Pamela

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Mark 3:7-19, Luke 6:12-36, Matthew 5:1-6:4.

What an amazing passage today! So much to take in and reflect on. The first thing that stuck out for me was that even Jesus took time to be alone. I will freely admit that I love being busy. I pack my schedule full and then thrive on deadlines, organization, and a fully colour coded calendar. But, inevitably, an over scheduled routine (which often means short nights) causes the occasional breakdown because I haven't taken the time away to slow down. Reading this passage today reminded me that if Jesus (a man on the most important mission) can take the time to relax and spend time in prayer and recharge then certainly I can do the same.

I couldn't help but think of Survivor as I read about Jesus calling the apostles. I mean out of all of the people who audition for the show Survivor why in the world would you cast 2 people named "Kelly" AND 2 people named "Jimmy" in the same show cast?? Jesus did the same thing...out of all of the people he could have called to be His disciples, he chose 2 people named Simon. I know He changed his name to Peter but still...were there really so many Simons that you had to pick 2 of them. (Of course, this is coming from a person who knows 2 other people with my exact same name!) When I stop to think about what the disciples must have thought when Jesus called them, I can't help but be embarrassed to think that I would feel totally inadequate and not be as eager and willing as they were to drop everything.

I thought it was interesting that the Beatitudes fell into the reading that I was doing. At our first staff meeting at the school that I teach at, we chose this as our Chapel theme for the year. The plan is to focus on one part of the passage in Matthew for each of the months of the school year. Today's Chapel focused on:
Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
and our Principal talked about how being poor in spirit means that we should be acknowledging God's sovereignty over our lives. I found this interpretation that also summed it up nicely:
Poor in Spirit means acknowledging God's ownership of everything and that we are responsible to be good stewards of those things with which we have be blessed. Our attitude should be one of faithful servants and not one of pride, envy, lust, and gluttony. We are called to use what we have and are given to provide for ourself and serve God's people.You can read the full page here.
I am excited to explore more of these verses through our Chapels this year and to share these verses with my students. A great commentary on the Beatitudes can be found here. I also enjoyed reading the Message version of these verses:

3"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.

4"You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.

5"You're blessed when you're content with just who you are—no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.

6"You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat.

7"You're blessed when you care. At the moment of being 'care-full,' you find yourselves cared for.

8"You're blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.

9"You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family.

10"You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom.

11-12"Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

One of things that stood out most for me throughout today's readings in that in my bible almost everything word in these verses are printed in red. These are the words of Jesus. It is the same teachings that He gave out in the Sermon on the Mount and still absolutely applicable to our lives today. A song that I used to hear on the radio kept popping into my head about how Jesus speaks to us through his teachings and we just have to listen to the "red letter" words to hear him. Let us desire to make every day a red letter day!

Red Letter Day -Newsong (find it on Youtube to hear the song)
Every day before the rush gets started
I get down on my knees
And I pray, Lord, I need You here to guide me
Please speak to me
And something happens that I can't explain
His Word starts talking to me and
I'm out to face this world again

I do believe it's gonna be another red letter day
It's gonna be another red letter day
I do believe it's gonna be another chance for me
To take His Word and walk by faith
I got a smile with every step I take
Knowing He is here with me
It's gonna be a red letter day

I had a friend call me up and tell me
How he struggles through each day
I told him that I didn't have all of the answers
This world's a crazy place
But I've learned to hide God's word in my heart
So I can have it with me when the pressures of the day start

repeat chorus

I do believe

So many hidden treasures in God's Word for us to find
The mysteries and secrets that are there to bring us life

repeat chorus

I do believe it's gonna be another red letter day
I do believe it's gonna be another chance for me
to take His Word and walk by faith

I do believe it's gonna be another red letter day
I do believe it's gonna be another chance for me
to take His Word and walk by faith


5 comments:

tammi said...

Great thoughts, Pam. The multiple Simons, Jameses, and Judases among the disciples caught my eye, too ~ that's half the crew! I guess that's what happens when you stick with tradition and name all your children after ancestors, eh? You don't get much variety! ;)

I also noticed Jesus making time to be alone and I can't help but think of all the blog posts and women's ministry messages I've heard about this, and the fundamental difference between what Jesus did and what you generally hear or read when people are talking about taking some down time because, well, "even Jesus took time to get away from it all." So often, I find, the recommendation is to pamper and spoil yourself ~ to take the time to read and soak in the bathtub or go get a pedicure or buy yourself that new pair of shoes that you don't really need, but you fell in love with last week. Whatever the case, usually the recommendation is to be self-indulgent. You know, since no one thanks you or pays you for all the work you do, you deserve to spoil yourself occasionally.

Jesus' "down time" was the exact opposite, and I have rarely heard someone recommend that busy moms remember to get away from all the hustle and bustle... just to spend an hour or two with God.

I think we need to watch how we view our ME time ~ is it our right or is it a privilege? Is it time for selfishness, or time to soak up a fresh dose of Holy Spirit so we can keep on giving in our busyness?

Tammy said...

So true that we have a choice whether we use our alone time to focus on us or to focus on God.

I noticed the multiple name repeats as well! The confusing part is how several of them go by different names that are nothing like - like Matthew is sometimes Levi!

tammi said...

Yes! Or Thaddaeus = the "good" Judas!!

Pamela said...

So true about "me" time. I also lean to my down time to be self indulgent in things I want to do.

tammi said...

Me too, Pam. It's a constant struggle.