Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1st

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is 2 Corinthians 11-13 and Acts 20:7-12 (there was a typo on the pdf file, but the online version gave the correct passage for today and tomorrow).

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak then I am strong.

This verse is exactly the one I referred to in my earlier post about people misinterpreting 1 Corinthians 10:13 to mean that God will not give us more than we can handle. I believe God gives us more than we can handle, in our strength, all the time! In our weakness, His power is made perfect and He is glorified, not us.

Sandy, an online friend of mine, posted a devotional about this awhile back, and she says....

God overwhelms us on purpose. Not to punish us, or because He doesn’t love us, but because He does love us ever so much. If we weren’t drowning in the circumstances surrounding us, we would never reach up for His help.

I am overwhelmed right now. I know there are many others of us who are overwhelmed right now too, and our overwhelming circumstances are in front of us right now to push us towards God. To teach us to turn to Him, lean on Him, rest with Him. He teaches us to share our burdens with other Christians, my friend calls other Christians ‘God with skin on’. I just love that!

If you’re overwhelmed, scared, worried; drowning in circumstances that are way too much for you to handle, then stop trying to handle them alone. God is right next to you, hands held out, telling you, “Give me your burden. I am your rest and refuge”

There are many things that are too much for us, but nothing is to much for our awesome God.

Amen!

Tomorrow's passage: Acts 20:13-21:36

4 comments:

tammi said...

And our good friend Nancy Leigh DeMoss says, "Anything that makes us desperate for God is a blessing." Interestingly, we're never desperate when things are going smoothly...

tammi said...

Wait, something is still not making sense with the readings. What you have given as tomorrow's readings are on the list for Friday. Tomorrow's should be Acts 20:13-21:36. (and 2 Corinthians 11-13, but we're covering that here today!)

Tammy said...

My mistake, fixed it!

Miriam said...

Those verses about strength in weakness stood out to me as well. Thanks, Tammy!