Tuesday, December 21, 2010

December 21 ~ Miriam

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Hebrews 13, 1 Peter 1-2:3.

Oh man.  Hebrews 13 alone has so much great stuff to comment on, I hardly know where to begin.  Let's see...  it starts off with some reminders - love, hospitality, remember those who are imprisoned or suffering, keep your marriage pure, remember your leaders and submit to their authority... but what I think I loved most about Hebrews 13 is the benediction at the end.  I'm sure many of us have heard it at church to close the service.

Hebrews 13:20-21 - Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

I can't really say it any better than that.  Really.  I'm not usually at a loss for words (as I'm sure many of you can attest to, having read my posts weekly for months now), but those two verses are just such a wonderful statement of the sacrifice that was made for us, the love that God has for us, the promise that we have that His will will be done, in us and through us, for His glory, and He will give us all we need and more in order for his will to be fulfilled.

A couple of things stood out for me in 1 Peter.  Everybody asks the question all the time - "Why do bad things happen to good people?"  This is a very difficult question, especially for non-believers, to understand.  For those of us who are Christians, we have the answer right here in 1 Peter 1:6b-7:  "...though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.  These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."  He never promised us a rose garden.  Or at least not one without thorns.  In fact, many people have suffered more for being Christians than they would have had they not accepted Christ.  And yet, I know that not a single one of those who have suffered, suffer now, or will do so in the future, will say it wasn't worth it.  Easy for me to say, I know, as there are many horrible experiences those people have gone through or will go through that I can't even imagine.  Everyone has their own trials and tribulations, myself included.  It helps me to know that these things are making me into who and what HE wants me to be and that He will supply everything I need to get through it (Hebrews 13 again), though that may not bring comfort to others when they are going through tough times.

1 Peter 2:2 says "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation," - this is what I've been learning by participating in this blog for the past year, and hope to continue in 2011.  Crave pure spiritual milk.  Read the Bible.  Every day, or as often as you can.  Grow up in your salvation.  Become a mature Christian.  Learn all you can.  Study.  Discuss.  Don't cause divisions by disagreeing about the finer points, but learn and meditate on the overall and important themes that we've discovered throughout the Bible this year.  Love.  Sin.  Sacrifice.  Salvation.  Love.  Humility.  Service.  Prayer.  Love. 

I'm sure there are many wonderful sermons to be found on-line about today's passage, but I decided to keep it short and just post my own thoughts, since a few things stood out so clearly to me today.  Did anything else jump out at you?  I'd love to read your comments.

Tomorrow's passage: 1 Peter 2:4-5:11.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Excellent post Miriam. I love all those benediction type passages - so much to take in!!