Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sunday Guest Post By Alicia

Today's reading from the One Year Bible Chronological Reading Plan is Jude 1:1-25; Revelation 1-2:29

Chapter 2 of Revelation seems to be a theme of a "Refiner's Fire". The churches are : (1) growing cold in love, (2) burdened with suffering, (3) reflecting worldliness, and (4) tolerating sin. Christ is beginning to tell them of things to come but first he addresses where they are at the present moment spiritually. Why does he do this?
Because the trials to come will be demanding of our faith and testing to our very spiritual fibers. He is refining them. For some he is calling them to repent, and for one he is assuring them the purpose of their suffering.
It made me wonder what my letter would look like. Lately I've been thinking about this anyway with the new year approaching. We often sit down and make our practical resolutions but do we often ask God to call us to repentance and point out our "what I have against you-s"? These people were followers of Christ and some of them had slipped a little off track, while others were way in left field. The Thyatira church, the final one in our reading today, had gone as far as to get their theology thoroughly twisted. They had decided that the spirit belonged to God but since the body was separate, it did not matter what their bodies participated in whether it be immoral or destructive. It's amazing to think that a church would go this far but if we look today we will find similar extremes.
So, back to my thoughts though. What would my letter say from the man with eyes like fire? What would he say he saw as my strengths? What would he have against me? I think it's worth praying for these refining assessments from God. Perhaps he is leading some to go to a Christian friend and be willing to ask them what they think God may what to challenge them with. Or, if God brings to mind areas, going to that friend to seek accountability for repentance and change for God's glory.
It's almost as if He wants to burn all away that entangles them so that they can run a very uphill and treacherous race ahead. I think the lessons and admonishments to these churches are applicable to my own Christian walk.
Outside of the personal, they are applicable to the church today, and EACH member is obligated to behave like the Bereans by checking the teaching, leadership and practices with Scripture.
I hope I, and I hope those around me will be refined more and more through the Spirit's work to point out failings that will lead to repentance and strength for the times ahead.
Our sermon today at church addressed one aspect of this. Our speaker stated that if you don't have anyone in your life telling you these things, you are probable pushing people away who will, or not being honest with yourself as well as humble to ask for admonishment.
God may call us to do this for someone else and if and when we do, we need to have their best spiritual interest at heart as it says in Matthew that we "would win back our brother."
Perhaps one practical way to discover what my our your letter would be is to go through these themes and ask ourselves some questions.
In what ways am I forgetting my first love and thinking I'm now saving myself?
How have I forgotten how fallen I am w/o Christ? In what sinful ways do I show that?
What from the world has rubbed off on me too much?
Where have I tolerated my own sin or the sin of others?
Have I deceived myself or let the enemy deceive me into theology that is not based on Scripture?

On a personal note, this is my final post. I've not been the star writer here at all and I appreciate Tammy's and the others hard work at keeping up so well with this. I've so enjoyed getting to know some of you and although I'm branching off to return to Inductive study, I hope you enjoy your reading. I hope you'll visit me sometime.

Tomorrow's passage: Revelation 3:1-6:17

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for this post Alicia, very convicting. Such a great reminder to continue to ask ourselves those tough questions.

Thanks also for reading along with us this year and posting your thoughts. I've really appreciated your input and will miss you, but totally understand your moving on. Thanks!!

Miriam said...

Thanks, Alicia... great reminders in this post not to coast along thinking "even if I'm no better than anyone else, I'm no worse either" and leave it at that. Thanks for the encouragement to keep seeking growth.

Thanks, also, for your participation this year. You definitely gave me some things to think about. I'll miss your input. Best wishes for you for 2011.