Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16th

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Job 20-21, Matthew 11

I just keep hearing songs on the radio about suffering and trusting God no matter what.

Here's No Matter What by Kerrie Roberts....


No Matter What
I’m running back to your promises one more time,
Lord that’s all I can hold on to,
I gotta say this has taken me by surprise,
but nothing surprises you.
Before a heartache can ever touch my life,
it has to go through Your hands,
and even though I keep asking why, I keep asking why,

No matter what, I’m gonna love You,
no matter what I’m gonna need You,
I know that You can find a way to keep me from the pain
but if not, if not, I’ll trust you, no matter what, no matter what.

When I’m stuck in this nothing-ness by myself,
I’m just sitting in silence,
there’s no way I can make it without Your help,
I wont even try it.
I know You have Your reasons for everything,
so I will keep believing,
whatever I might be feeling,
God you are my hope,
and you'll be my strength,

No matter what, I’m gonna love You,
no matter what I’m gonna need You,
I know that You can find a way to keep me from the pain
but if not, if not, I’ll trust you, no matter what, no matter what.

Anything I don’t have You can give it to me,
but it’s ok if You don’t,
I’m not here for those things,
the touch of Your love is enough on its own,
no matter what I still love You and I’m gonna need You

No matter what I’m gonna love you,
no matter what I’m gonna need you,
I know that You can find a way to keep me from the pain
but if not, if not, I’ll trust You,
I know that You can find a way to keep me from the pain,
but if not, if not, I’ll trust you,
no matter what

And right at the beginning of the Matthew passage none other than John the Baptist has his doubts about what in the world is going on! If Jesus is really the Messiah, then what is John doing in jail when he could be out there continuing to preach and prepare the way for Him?! It made no sense, and so he questioned Jesus.

Notice Jesus' response. He didn't berate John for questioning, for doubting. He didn't get angry, He didn't say how disappointed He was in John. He tenderly rebuked him - pointing to the evidence of His identity and reminding him not to falter simply because He was going about His kingdom in a way John didn't expect.

Really, so similar to Job's situation. Job did not know where God was in the midst of his suffering, he did not understand what God was doing. But he continually declared that he would trust him anyway, even though he didn't understand.

And so often we are in the same position. We don't understand. We can't understand. Because we are human, and His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways. We live with a limited viewpoint, bound by time. He lives with an eternal, all-knowing, all-encompassing viewpoint that is, quite simply, way beyond our comprehension.

And so, it comes down to trust and faith.

Do we truly have faith in God?

Do we trust God when we do not understand?

Do we trust God.... no matter what?

Tomorrow's passage: Job 22-24, Matthew 12:1-23

2 comments:

Pamela said...

It is hard for our limited mind to understand the bigger picture. Great song.

Dana said...

Thanks for sharing! Good encouragement for everyone!