Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24th, 2011 -- Sandy

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is: Job 38-40 and Matthew 15:21-39



GOOD MORNING!
I must say, thank you for your grace and patience with me. Morning sickness is passing and I'm feeling fabulous! I'm grateful for your kindness and prayers!


21 And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. 22And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and was crying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely oppressed by a demon." 23But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying out after us." 24He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." 25But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." 26And he answered, "It is not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs." 27She said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters’ table." 28Then Jesus answered her, "O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire." And her daughter was healed instantly.
Matthew 15:21-28 (ESV)

It took me a long time to love this passage. I didn't understand it. It seemed confusing and so unlike Jesus.

But, with understanding comes embracing!

This passage is so much more than another healing. It's a challenge to all of us.

Jesus wasn't just addressing the woman, He was giving a lesson to His disciples too. As an aside, I find it rather amusing how often the disciples needed re-direction and teaching. Kinda like our kids! I'd like to say I'd learn faster than they would...but I know better. I need re-direction and teaching from my Father all the time. Thankfully He's gentle.

Back on subject.

Anyhoo. This woman comes, begging for healing. So many times we see people come to Jesus to be healed. And how often do we see Jesus question their faith, or remind them He's about MORE than healing. Yet, He's always compassionate and heals.
This is no different. It seems different on the surface, after all, Jesus compares the woman to a dog sitting under a table for crumbs!

He's not being cruel. He's asking this woman, asking US, if we are willing to be as dogs at His feet.

Are we? That's so the opposite of what our human pride says for us to be. All too often we take the kind and friendly side of Jesus a step too far and forget just who He is. (Which ties in nicely to our OT reading. God takes 3 chapters to remind Job just who the holy God of the universe is!)

Jesus is our friend. He's our co-heir, according to the Word. He's our Savior, He loves us and wants our company and fellowship.

But we are not equals.

We are as dogs at His feet. Beloved companions to be sure, but not equal.

Are we willing to embrace that position? Can I humble myself daily and be grateful for His mercy and grace, because without it, I am worthless?

Father,
HUMBLE US!
Draw us close. Allow us the privilege of sitting at your feet. Help us to understand Your holiness, while we embrace Your grace and mercy. Let us not forget that Your holiness is boundless, as well as Your love.
Help us to be willing to be your servants.
In the holy name of Jesus,
Amen

Have a wonderful day ladies!


Tomorrow's passage: Job 41-42 and Matthew 16

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks Sandy.

Isn't it amazing how there can be so many lessons learned from one passage?

I remember this story really bothering me last year (here is the link to last year's post for a different lesson to be learned from this passage http://bibleinayearandbeyond.blogspot.com/2010/10/october-11th.html )

I wonder what we'll see in this story next year?!

Miriam said...

Beloved companions, but not equal. Good reminder! Thanks!

tammi said...

Interesting perspective! I've never thought of it that way, but I distinctly remembered the post Tammy links to above. I wondered, too, what we might see in it a year from now!

I like how you point out that we're children, co-heirs, beloved companions, yes, but certainly not equals with Christ. I think we see a lot of disrespect in Christian circles these days for the superiority of Jesus. Like we've almost OVER-emphasized Him as a personal friend.

Great post, Sandy! Glad to hear you're feeling so much better!!

Pamela said...

I was questioning the passage as well. Thanks for sharing your insights. I'm off to check out the link from last year...I don't remember what was said last year...

Dana said...

Wow, I just read your post from last year! I never knew you could learn so much from one little passage. Thank-you!