Friday, January 14, 2011

Sandy's testimony

Hi!
I'm Sandy and I'm totally honored to be a guest poster here on this blog.

My husband, Justin, and I have 5 kids. 3 girls, 2 boys. Baby 6 will be here in August.
Justin was recently medically discharged from the Army after 10 years of military service. (6 in the Air force and 4 in the Army)

Justin and I met in high school. We were 16 and unsaved. We got married at 19 and had our first baby at 21. Both of us are from broken families. We both grew up knowing lots about what NOT to do in marriage, but little about what we SHOULD do. We were quickly on the road to having a very poor marriage.

While pregnant with our second child, we moved to Okinawa, Japan. It's a small island off the southern coast of Japan. It was there, away from our home, our families and everything we'd ever known, that we began to feel the emptiness in our lives and our marriage.
We began going to church, mostly 'for the kids' and quickly saw that we were in desperate need of a Savior. We were saved and baptized together in Oct of 2004.

It's been hard to undo a lifetime of the world's teachings! But, by His grace, we learn more everyday! And my husband, the kid who failed every grade and hated school, is now a dedicated seminary student! He devours the Word and leads our family on with a gentleness, love and strength I would have never thought possible 10 years ago.

I could go on for HOURS about the things He's done in our lives....but Tammy said keep it short ;P So...I'll sum it up with saying that He saved 2 kids from a legacy of divorce, bitterness and anger. And made a family from it. For HIS GLORY!

I joined this blog because I LOVE to write. I love it! But...for the last 6 months or so, I've not felt the fire to write. I miss it so. And it's my own fault. I've allowed life to become mundane. Instead of enjoying each day, I've become complacent and been waiting for 'what's next'.
I hope that writing here will help me stay accountable in my reading, and help me regain my passion for writing!

Thanks for reading!

Sandy

4 comments:

Miriam said...

That's funny that this is the second time this week I've heard (or read) a story of someone who started attending church for the kids and ended up coming to Christ themselves.

Nice to "meet" you. I've enjoyed your writing so far and look forward to more of it!

Tammy said...

It is so awesome how God has worked in your life (and Justin's!). Redeeming broken families and stopping that pattern in future generations - what an amazing work of God.

I love reading your writing and am so glad you've joined our team!

Unknown said...

I love your testimony. Sometimes the lie creeps into my head that maybe my non-Christian "challengers" are right (always friendly debates - I refuse to engage in bitter debates about religion) . . . that the only reason I believe in God is because it's what I was taught as a child. Hearing stories about people who are literally drawn to Christ as adults is such an encouragement to me. My God is real and AWE-some and just because my parents taught me about Him when I was a child does NOT mean He's just a fairy tale or tradition.

Pamela said...

What an amazing story. My parents started bringing me to church as a toddler for Sunday School. My dad had never attended church as a child but my mom did. I am so glad that they decided to that particular church to attend because that is where i met my husband!