Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday, January 11 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is: Job 5-7, Matthew 8:18-34

Todays reading starts with Job's friend Eliphaz's advice and counsel. I read this passage both in "The Message" and the NIV versions. The first section that really spoke to me was Job 5:8-16 in The Message:
 8-16 "If I were in your shoes, I'd go straight to God,
   I'd throw myself on the mercy of God.
After all, he's famous for great and unexpected acts;
   there's no end to his surprises.
He gives rain, for instance, across the wide earth,
   sends water to irrigate the fields.
He raises up the down-and-out,
   gives firm footing to those sinking in grief.
He aborts the schemes of conniving crooks,
   so that none of their plots come to term.
He catches the know-it-alls in their conspiracies—
   all that intricate intrigue swept out with the trash!
Suddenly they're disoriented, plunged into darkness;
   they can't see to put one foot in front of the other.
But the downtrodden are saved by God,
   saved from the murderous plots, saved from the iron fist.
And so the poor continue to hope,
   while injustice is bound and gagged.
 17-19 "So, what a blessing when God steps in and corrects you!
   Mind you, don't despise the discipline of Almighty God!
True, he wounds, but he also dresses the wound;
   the same hand that hurts you, heals you.
From one disaster after another he delivers you;
   no matter what the calamity, the evil can't touch you—

It really hit me when I read this version that this could sound similar to encouragement I give out when friends are hurting. "Go to God - he'll comfort you." "He has a plan, a purpose". "Yes, you're hurting, but God can heal you". 

I'm not saying that these are wrong statements.

I'm merely sharing my first impression when I read The Message version of this. Job's friends were trying to be helpful! They thought they were giving good advice. They were telling Job that this kind of destruction does not just "happen"! And, in all truthfulness, what would I say if I had a friend with this kind of pain, this kind of torment?? I would pull from my human arsenal of encouragement and say... "Pray about it". "I know you don't understand it, but God has a purpose". "Look at everything God can do, if you just pray and lean on Him, He could pull you out of this". Again, I'm NOT saying these are bad statements, just that in reality, they can be hurtful if that individual is already pouring out to God and not receiving the healing/life change that they need/want in a perceived timely manner. After all:

Eliphaz thought he was encouraging Job.

But, where were his "encouraging words" coming from? His human nature. His human heart. I truly believe that if we are to comfort a hurting friend, we can't come from our human state, it must be from a Godly state. We need to pray God's encouragment pours out of our mouths, and not our own. Like it or not, our words can come across judgemental, hurtful and even accusatory (like Eliphaz) when they are our own. Even with the best of intentions.

I want to encourage everyone today to Stop. Listen. Pray. Speak. Or sometimes stay quiet... This is one lesson I need time and time again!!

Tomorrow's passage: Job 8-10, Matthew 9:1-17

6 comments:

Tammy said...

So true Jody!!

How often do I talk before I think, nevermind talk before I pray?! All. the. time.

It is all Him. I'm not going to have the right words on my own. But if I pray and rely on Him, I'll know if it's time to just be silent, or if it's a time to speak, and if it's a time to speak, He will give the words to say.


Really good insight for me Jody. Thank you.

Miriam said...

Great post. Definitely something I need to keep in mind as well. In fact, it's on my list of goals for 2011! It's easy to dish out advice and even if it is in an effort to be helpful or encouraging, sometimes that is exactly what that other person DOESN'T need.

tammi said...

Great advice. It's SO-O-O hard not to just chime in with my opinion (because that's ALWAYS ready to go!!) instead of waiting and praying before saying anything.

Anonymous said...

Great post! An excellent reminder to think and pray before speaking. I know I have terrible foot IN mouth disease. LOL
I've also experienced this having a special needs child. Well-meaning encouraging friends will often say things meant as encouragement, but can end up being trite and even hurtful.
Sometimes a simple " I love you. " "I'm praying for you" or an "I'm sorry" does just fine.

Kathryn said...

You hit the nail on the head. I believe first is listening, then praying about our response and then, if the Lord has given us something of worth, of value, say it! I know for me, just having someone listen to me helps so much!

Pamela said...

So. True. I think too often we think there is something that we need to say when in reality there is nothing to say. Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed reading the message version as well. I do enjoy reading through the Message and this passage was no exception.