Tuesday, February 8, 2011

February 8 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is: Exodus 4-6,  Matthew 24:29-51

Scripture:
Exodus 4:10-13
 10 Moses said to the LORD, “Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.”
 11 The LORD said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the LORD? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”
 13 But Moses said, “Pardon your servant, Lord. Please send someone else.”
14 Then the LORD’s anger burned against Moses and he said, “What about your brother, Aaron the Levite? I know he can speak well. He is already on his way to meet you, and he will be glad to see you. 15 You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do. 16 He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him. 17 But take this staff in your hand so you can perform the signs with it.”

Observation:
God was calling Moses to do something completely, 100% outside of his comfort level. He was asking Moses to overcome his fears and actual physical ailment of slowed speech. God just finished showing Moses the most amazing miracles - staff into snake, leporous hand, and step by step instructions on how to make a river - yet Moses doubts God can make him an eloquent speaker. He questions God, God says EXCUSE ME?? I made your mouth, don't kid yourself, I can make you speak clearly, and Moses STILL questions him. Then, "the Lords anger burned against Moses". That can't have been comfortable... And what does God do?... He gives him an out. He sends Aaron.

I had never noticed this exact exchange in this story before. I know the story of Moses and Aaron, the stuttering etc. But I have never noticed that God called Moses specifically in verse 12 "Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.” Only after Moses complains a couple of times does God offer the help of Aaron.

Application:
Right now God is calling me to do something I do NOT want to do. I have offered Him up many, many reasons why it SHOULD NOT be me. He keeps whispering to my heart that this is my job to do. He has it planned out for me. And maybe I need to listen a little more closely to hear Him say to me:
"Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.”

Prayer:
Father God - you speak directly to us. Just as you lovingly provided Moses with the support of Aaron when he doubted your plan, you offer us the support of those around us too. Help us to listen for your voice - and then actually listen to your voice. Go with me Lord, as you promise in your Word and help me speak. Teach me what to say.

Tomorrow's passage: Exodus 7-8, Matthew 25:1-30

5 comments:

tammi said...

You know what I always marvel at in this particular passage? How badly God must have wanted Moses to lead Israel!

I mean, we see God getting frustrated and outright angry with Moses because of all his doubts and excuses ~ God even comes to KILL him while he's on his way from Midian back to Egypt because he hasn't followed the custom of circumcision God dictated to Abraham centuries earlier ~ and yet God is insistent that Moses be the leader of Israel. God eliminated other people for these kinds of doubts and acts of defiance!! But not Moses.

Later, we see what an incredibly close relationship Moses developed with God, but at this point it certainly doesn't seem to be the case, and yet God insists on using Moses and grooming him for greatness.

I know God often ~ almost always ~ seems to choose the least likely servants, but it just always amazes me that Moses infuriates God here (TWICE!) and doesn't end up dying on the spot. And then for something as little as not quite following God's directions for how to get water from a rock, for THAT he's punished!!!

That just always blows my mind because it just doesn't seem to make sense!

Unknown said...

I'm always a little frustrated by this part of Moses' journey . . . he KNEW God was speaking to him and he KNEW exactly what God was asking him to do! I wouldn't argue with God if I KNEW what He was asking me to do . . . would I?? Theoretically no, but given all the stories of people who KNEW God was speaking to them and who disobeyed God's instructions anyway, I can't assume that I'd be any less obstinate if I didn't think I was cut out for the job I was being called to do. I guess I'd kind of like the chance to find out . . . I hope that one day God sees fit to make it abundantly clear to me that HE is asking me to follow a specific instruction or complete a particular task. I know He's calling me to learn to love my husband and children better, find ways to serve at church, etc., but I'm sort of hoping for something that is unique to me . . .

Unknown said...

PS - I just reread my post . . . my comment about not arguing with God if I KNEW an instruction had come from Him was tongue in cheek . . . just in case anyone reads it and thinks otherwise ;-)

Pamela said...

When I read this passage it made me think of the "many are called but few are chosen" verse. I think that Moses was "called" and "chosen" but God still allowed him to exercise his free will and to choose whether he would accept God's invitation to lead. I personally cannot imagine arguing with God if he was actually speaking to me and I knew this is what He wanted (or maybe I am just not listening as well as Moses did!). However, Moses chooses not to accept and God asks Aaron to step in.

Tammy said...

I wonder what Moses all missed out on by choosing not to trust God with his speech issues.

Tammi - I'm confused by some of God's actions to Moses as well. Almost killing him over the circumcision issue, and denying Moses entrance to the Promised Land because he got angry at the obstinate people he'd been leading around the dessert so long - but not smoking him for his repeated lack of trust in this speech issue.