Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday, February 25 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Leviticus 3-5, Mark 5:21-43

I'm not going to spend too much time examining today's Leviticus readings because Miriam did such a great job of summarizing the different types of sacrifices last year, but I do want to share a few thoughts.

One thing that struck me was the constant reminder that even if we sin inadvertently or without realizing it, we have still sinned and are required to repent and ask God's forgiveness.

A while back, my oldest daughter was in the habit of adding this line to her bedtime prayers:  "And please forgive me for all the bad things I've thought, said, and done today."  I almost found it amusing because night after night after night she would say the same thing, and if you knew this particular daughter, you would hardly think it necessary for her to repent like this every night!  She's got an over-active conscience, she's terribly sensitive to the difference between right and wrong, and very concerned with being a good daughter and student who always follows the rules!  She is NOT the trouble-maker in our home!!  She's a peace-keeper, a solution-seeker, and a generous friend

I thought it quite unnecessary for her to be constantly confessing in such a general way, but I couldn't help wonder, as I read these chapters, if maybe she was on to something valuable.  Maybe we need to be willing to confess those "accidental" sins a little more readily ourselves.  I'm sure we'd all concede that we DO sin in our thoughts, actions, and words every day and yet how often to we go before God at the end of the day and beg His forgiveness for our thoughtless and/or accidental sins?

Another little tidbit about the book of Leviticus in general is part of the introduction my Bible gives:

Made in God's image, we were created to have a close relationship with him; thus, when fellowship is broken, we are incomplete and need restoration.  Communion with the living God is the essence of worship.  It is vital, touching the very core of our lives.  Perhaps this is why a whole book of the Bible is dedicated to worship.  After Israel's dramatic exit from Egypt, the nation was camped at the foot of Mount Sinai to listen to God.  It was a time of resting, teaching, building, and meeting with him face to face.  Redemption in Exodus is the foundation for cleansing, worship, and service in Leviticus.

The overwhelming message of Leviticus us the holiness of God -- "Be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy". (all emphasis added)
I think it will be helpful to keep that perspective in mind as we read through all these "rules and regulations" for worship, as well as the importance of the celebrations that are also detailed further along.

Then we move along to Mark to the very beautiful passage where Jairus, a prominent religious leader, comes to Jesus, begging Him to come heal his 12-yr old daughter who is dying.  Jesus agrees to go to the man's house, but stops along the way when He feels some of His power has been used as a woman with a seemingly incurable blood disorder touches the hem of His robe.  (I wonder how Jairus felt about this little delay??)

Again, my Life Application Bible brings up an interesting aspect to this whole story.  This woman's disorder, whatever it was, would have made her perpetually ceremonially unclean and would have excluded her from most social contact.  Because she was unclean, she would have had very limited physical contact with anyone ~ no hugging, no sitting close together with her girlfriends, no kissing, no nothing.  What a lonely life this poor woman must have led!  Not only did she have a serious health condition that no one could figure out, but she was also very alone.

She knew touching Jesus would make Him unclean according to Jewish law, which is possibly why she tried to hide and just touch His cloak or robe instead of actually speaking to Him.  Perhaps she'd witnessed some previous healings and noticed Jesus had the personal touch, almost always using physical contact in order to restore someone's health.  She didn't want Him to have to defile Himself in order to help, but she was desperate for healing.

I think this is a great picture of how we often think our problems will keep us from God, how our sins make it impossible for us to approach Him, and yet here we see the King of Kings abruptly stop what He's doing and take the time to gently restore this woman spiritually.  Just touching His clothing had already healed her physically, but He takes the time to care for her soul as well.  Though sin seperates us from fellowship with God, the gap is never too wide for Him to extend forgiveness and full restoration.

None of the gospels that recount this story say it, but I'd be willing to bet that, as she knelt before Him, trying to hide her face, Jesus touched her shoulder and took her hand to help her to her feet.  I believe this woman is representative of all desperate and broken believers who have the privilege of full restoration, of standing upright in the presence of God, and seeing the love and compassion in His eyes.







Tomorrow's passages: Leviticus 6-7, Mark 6:1-29

4 comments:

Dana said...

Great post! I like that verse, "Be holy, because I the Lord your God am holy."

I never thought about how unclean that woman was and how lonely she must have felt. I pray that I will have as much faith as her. Thanks!

Unknown said...

As I read the Leviticus portion of today's reading I was struck also by the sacrifices required to cover over the sins people didn't realize they were committing at the time, never mind the ones they did know about. If I was living in those days I would have sacrificed myself straight into the poorhouse, losing all my perfect livestock to the alter and then losing all my imperfect livestock as trades for perfect ones to sacrifice. I think I would be destitute because of my sins, a reminder of how devastating sin really is!

Contrast that with how easy it is for me to come to Jesus and have my sins, both the "intentional" ones as well as the inadvertent ones, covered over. At the same time it demonstrated to me how unworthy I am of that "easy" redemption. It's easy for me but I need to always be conscious that it DID cost Someone dearly!! I don't want the ease of the act of repentance to make the act of sacrifice seem easy. It cost my Lord his life. It is literally beyond humbling . . .

Jody said...

What struck me with today's reading was how much work it took to gain forgiveness for sin. You had to determine the correct "wrong" you've committed, then choose the animal (grain, etc.), bring your sacrifice to the temple while it is sacrificed etc... Today, by the grace of God, it is heartfelt words uttered - and we're forgiven. I really like your point Tammi about how maybe stopping at the end of the day to repent of ALL our indiscretions isn't such an "immature - childlike" thing to do. We are after all supposed to be childlike...
Great post Tammi, I really appreciate your insight.

Pamela said...

I'd never really thought about the loneliness the woman must have felt being cut off from people and physical contact. But I have always thought about her bold move to touch Jesus and the faith she must have had that just a single touch of Him would heal her fully and restore her to health.