Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is  Exodus 39-40 - Mark 4:21-41 

When I started todays reading I thought I'd not find anything in the Exodus reading and should just go straight to the Mark reading.  I mean, I've been conditioned to believe that the laundry lists God gives Moses (aka - laws) are boring.  Well, right there, is a lesson.  I am finding there is life application in ALL of God's word!

I first thought it might be helpful to 'see' the garments of the priests and the tabernacle.  Here is a picture of what we think the priestly garments looked like.  You can click all around on the picture of the priest to go to an explanation of the item.

Here are a few links for the tabernacle:
'Cut away' view of the interior
Great index for lots of pics of the tabernacle and furnishings

The first thing that caught me in the reading of this is the detail that God puts into the tabernacle.  I counted 12 some chapters in Exodus concerning the tabernacle and/or the priestly garments.  God puts great detail into the place where He would dwell.  There is great contrast in the production of the Golden Calf, a few verses of a chapter.  The making of this idol is rash, hasty and a reaction to a fear that their leader has left them.  And it does not produce the stability they are looking for.  Rather, it produces chaos.  However, the production of the tabernacle gives the people something to do beyond themselves.  Not only that, but it has meaning.  Each and every furnishing has a meaning to the Lord.  Something for the people to learn from.  The Lord is slowly beginning to construct a society.  They have the beginnings of government when Moses' father-in-law visits and now they have 'visuals' of a relationship (ie. religion, although I don't like using that word, but I couldn't think of a different one).  I think that's part what the golden calf was about.  We give rings in marriage because it is such a big thing in life that we have to look down and think "did I really do that?  Wow!  I can't believe I'm married.  But there's the ring, so I didn't just dream it!"  And here is the tabernacle. They could look out their tents and see it, that yes, God is real and He is leading us.  But it was not an idol, yet it was very real and in some ways more real than an idol.  God knows we are weak and frail and need visual reminders of His promises.

Have you ever been anointed?  Here we see a lot of it.  I come from a tradition that believes in anointing, but honestly I've not seen a whole lot of it.  I was anointed one time and it was a very powerful thing.  Exodus 30: 22-33 shows us the instructions for the anointing oil and the purpose.
29 You shall consecrate them so they will be most holy, and whatever touches them will be holy.
The act of anointing is setting some thing or some one apart for service to the Lord.  A simple act with a profound meaning.  We have no idea what it's like to be God, or what it's like to be in His presence totally, but with this display of consecration of so many things and people we begin to see that He is different.  He isn't a God that we can stuff in a bag and take with us.  We have to be Holy to be in His presence.  It takes great strides in order to commune with the Holiest of Holies, the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords.  I believe God had many intentions with the tabernacle, but one I see here is that He wanted us to see our need for redemption.  That there is nothing we can do to make ourselves good enough.

And how beautiful of an example of the indwelling of God when we do set ourselves apart for Him.  It says the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle.  How similar His indwelling in us when we take on His son.  We have that same beauty in us.  Do we reflect it?  Ouch.  I know for me the answer is 'no, not always, not even most of the time.'  Something I know I need to work on.

Thank you Father that You 'show' us You.  You have not left us alone.  Thank You for providing for us in our weakness.  


 Tomorrow's passage:  Psalm 90-91 - Leviticus 1-2 - Mark 5:1-20 

5 comments:

Jody said...

Thank you for the links Kathryn! As I was reading today's passage I wanted to look up the priest's garments to get an idea of what they may have looked like. Perfect timing! I really love the way you explained the difference between the golden calf and the tabernacle. So very true about the stability between the 2 as well as the tabernacle providing something for them to do beyond themselves. It forced them to build on their skills and abilities and follow God's direction for them.
Great post!! Thanks Kathryn!

Tammy said...

Thanks Kathryn - great links and post.

I'd never thought to contrast the building of the golden calf with the building of the temple - some great lessons there. People were willing to donate for both "causes", but were the outcomes sure drastically different!

The details, the consecration, the annointing - it all points to the holiness of our God and our need for redemption beyond ourselves.

tammi said...

I really appreciate your contrast between the calf and the tabernacle, too! Definitely something that never occurred to me either, but you're so right. It IS interesting that the people gave so willingly to both causes and yet, with the one, the response is panicky and half-hearted, but when God gives them a purpose, their willingness and whole-heartedness was orderly... and overwhelming!!

Dana said...

Thanks for the links! Those garments definitely have a lot of detail! I never thought about it before how much time is spent describing the tabernacle and how little it describes the gold calf. That's an interesting observation!

Pamela said...

Wonderful observation of the contrast between the building of the calf and the tabernacle-I never thought of that before.

One of the things that caught my attention through these verse was that the glory of the Lord filled the tabernacle in a cloud and it glowed with fire at night "in sight of all the house of Israel during all their travels" and then the very first verses in Mark talk about setting a lamp on a stand instead of hiding it under a bowl or bed. This glory was not meant to be hidden but to shine for everyone.