Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday, May 16 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is:2 Samuel 16-18, John 5:1-24

Happy Monday Everyone!

Scripture: John 5:14
"Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you."

Observation:
This one simple verse struck me as so profound this morning. Jesus healed the man at the pool, and originally said - "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk." Only later on when he sees him again at the temple does he give the instructions above. I wonder what prompted Jesus to say this second set of instructions to him at a later time. My NIV study bible has a note regarding the 'something worse': "The eternal consequences of sin are more serious than any physical ailment". So true!

Application:
For me, this passage totally ties into what Tammy wrote about yesterday. Bringing our sins to Light, repenting and pressing on to please God with a Holy life. Or at least an attempt at a Holy life here on earth. We can - and should - celebrate the miracles and blessings God pours into our lives, but lets not forget Jesus' simple instructions to the man at the pool "See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse will happen to you."

Prayer:
Father God, I praise you that I am well. I praise you that I am in a place right now of rejoicing in your Name. I pray that you will help me to see the sin in my life and I pray that you empower me with Your Grace to confess it and turn from it. Thank you for all of the healing you have completed in my life and in the lives of those around me. Amen.


Tomorrow's passage: 2 Samuel 19-20, John 5:25-47

3 comments:

tammi said...

Amen.

P.S. And God? Would you please give me an extra dose of humility to admit when I've been wrong, too?! That's where I so often get hung up.

The phrase you mention stood out for me, too, and I wondered why the two-part healing story ~ though I'm sure Jesus had a perfectly good reason! I guess there are actually a couple of occasions where He didn't just heal/forgive in one fell swoop. (I'm sure our pal Johnny Mac has some insight on this ~ guess I'll be loading a sermon onto my mp3 player to listen to later!)

Tammy said...

What a great reminder that our physical well-being is not nearly so important as our spiritual well-being. And yet, how often do we actually act that out in our daily lives?

I, and probably thousands of people, prayed fervently for my nephew Baret to be healed physically - and he was, praise the Lord!! And yes, that was important, so important. And I am so thankful.

But I also have very close family members that are not Christians. Am I praying as fervently for their spiritual well-being as I prayed for Baret's physical well-being? To be honest? No. Do I pray about it? Of course, absolutely! But do I pray as fervently? On my knees in tears begging for their lives? I sure should!!

Pamela said...

It's interesting that you chose to highlight this part because it stood out for me too. I think it is important to realize that our spiritual health is more important than our physical health and that it is too easy to forget that.

Tammy-so true. Am I praying fervently for the spiritual health of people who are not Christians? No. I need to ask myself why.