Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday, June 3 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Psalm 61, 62, 65; John 13:21-38.

I love how these Psalms seem to work together again!  Psalm 61 starts out with David's plaintive, "Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer."  It would appear David wrote this one while on the run, either from Saul or Absalom, and he's wistfully praying for God's comfort and to feel like all is right in the world again.  But he ends like he does in so many of the Psalms, with a decisive statement of faith in God no matter the outcome.

Psalm 62 seems to be the next step.  I gather whatever David is going through isn't over and he'd still like some answers, but he's content to believe in God's goodness, protection, and provision.  The physical restoration hasn't happened yet, but it seems like some spiritual restoration is in the works.  Whatever the case, David opens up this Psalm with quiet assurance that God alone is the fulfillment of all his needs and he looks forward to feeling God's touch in his life again.

And then it feels like Psalm 65 is the conclusion ~ David's celebration of praise for God's blessings in his life.  It seems all IS right in David's world again, as he talks not only about restoration spiritually, but it seems like even the physical world is joining in the song of praise!  You can hardly read this Psalm without imagining David standing on a hilltop, his arms outstretched, wind whipping his hair about his head, and just shouting for joy at the top of his lungs, exulting in the sights before him, the splendour of creation.  I love that image!

Skipping over to John, the tone changes pretty drastically!  Here we enter the Upper Room and recline with Jesus and His disciples as they observe the last Passover supper and the first communion.  (I find it interesting that John is the only one of the four Gospels that doesn't really mention the breaking of bread and sharing the cup in remembrance of Jesus, yet John records far more about what Jesus taught them there that night than any of the others.)  Jesus has just finished washing their feet and implying someone among them means Him harm, and He's troubled.  It almost seems like He was trying to decide whether to reveal Judas or not.  He's made the implication, then He's troubled in spirit, and then He comes out and says, "...one of you is going to betray me."

Here again, I had to smile a little at Peter.  For all his big talk just moments before when Jesus first tried to wash his feet, now he's not brave enough to come out and ask Jesus himself who the betrayer is, and so he whispers in John's ear and gets him to do it instead.  Maybe it was because he was afraid he might find out it would be him.

Somehow, I'm always a little surprised that Jesus actually reveals Judas as the betrayer.  I mean, we know it happened pretty obviously anyway, so was it necessary?  And really, knowing how Peter reacted to the guards in the garden just a little while later... don't you think he'd have been right ready to up and off Judas there on the spot, too?!

And then, if I'm right in my speculation about Peter's fear, they're realized when Jesus not only outs Judas as the traitor, but reveals Peter will indeed betray Him as well.  Physically, Judas' betrayal was more damaging, but emotionally and spiritually, I wonder if Peter's wasn't worse.  Maybe that's just my human mind trying to comprehend.  I think Peter knew that as a human, in the darkest corner of his heart, he wasn't much "better" than Judas.  And now everyone knows it.

Yet Peter's humility and heart for Christ is what makes all the difference between his and Judas' stories.  It's kind of what we've sometimes said about David, too ~ it's not that he didn't sin, but his heart for God, his humility in admitting his mistakes, and his desire to serve God despite his repeated failures made him the "man after God's own heart."  I think Peter was a man after God's own heart, too.  But like David, he needed the Refiner's fire.

Among all the negative stuff, we have Jesus giving us the NEW command: to love one another as He loves us.  He tells us this is the distinguishing mark of the believer.  I fear so many of us have lost sight of this and the purpose behind it.  Sure, we love our friends and the church people who don't annoy us, but what does that prove to the onlooking world?  Nothing.  They can do that, too.  The Church ~ The Body of Christ ~ is called to love each other despite differences, disagreements, and even wrong-doing.  THAT'S what stands out and sends a powerful message.

I think this brings us right back to last Friday's conclusion about all being one flock and all having the same Shepherd.  Is the outside world seeing us hung up on maintaining our differences or loving each other and working side-by-side despite them?









Tomorrow's passages: Psalm 68, 72, 86; John 14.

Sheesh, how does this always happen?? I start out thinking I have nothing to say and end up writing a terribly long-winded post!! Sorry!

3 comments:

Miriam said...

Great post, Tammi. I Love John 14:23-24, where it say to love one another. I usually lead the little children in our church in a few songs when they go down for Sunday School, and one of the ones we do regularly is "This is my commandment that you love one another that your joy may be full." The trick will be to teach them as they get older that you don't just love the people who are easy to love, but EVERYBODY.

Tammy said...

Psalm 62:11b jumped out at me....
"that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving."

We've often heard it said by skeptics that because there is so much evil in the world, either God must not be all powerful, or He must not be good. Here David confirms that God is both strong AND loving.

In our John passage, I find it a bit odd that the disciples are confused over the betrayal comments - that once Jesus specifically points out Judas they think He's talking about something else. Were they that shocked that it was Judas?

Pamela said...

Great post with so many great things to think about. What stood out for me as I read was the illustration of the need to be saved. These verses:

1Hear my cry, O God,
(B) listen to my prayer;
2from the end of the earth I call to you
when my heart is(C) faint.
Lead me to(D) the rock
that is higher than I,
3for you have been(E) my refuge,
a strong(F) tower against the enemy.

makes me think of all the flooding going on and how people are having to go to higher ground to be saved. When we experience trouble, we need to be lifted up.

Then this part:

6(K) He only is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
7On God rests my(L) salvation and my glory;
my mighty rock,(M) my refuge is God.

Reminds us that God will lift us up from all of our troubles. He is our refuge.

Finally, these verses:
9(Q) Those of low estate are but a breath;
those of high estate(R) are a delusion;
in the balances they go up;
they are together lighter than a breath.

That whatever we have or don't have doesn't really matter. It makes me think of those who have lost homes and worldly possessions from floods, tornadoes or other disasters. God gives, and God takes away, and through it all, He is our refuge, our rock, our Saviour.