Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday, July 15 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Amos 7-9; Galatians 2.

Our adult Sunday school class went through a series of minor prophets this spring and you know, quite honestly, I think most of us had trouble with the lessons.  After all, the messages are specifically for the people of Israel and Judah, the images are disturbing and hard to understand sometimes... what possible meaning and/or benefit is there for us?  But more and more as I thought and studied, the more I think we often miss the point of these books because we look at the specifics.  Taking them apart chapter by chapter, phrase by phrase often makes them confusing, especially when there are no scholars in the group to help shed light.  I really think the way to understand these Old Testament "minor prophet" books is to read them as a whole.  That's the only way you really get the whole point, the bigger picture.  And when we look at these books that way, it makes a lot more sense that they are included in the Scriptures and are expected to teach us something.

Amos's message is not only to complacent Israelites, but to today's complacent Christians, too ~ those living under a pious veneer of religion, loving material posessions and social status more than serving God, and not really caring about the needy souls around them.  Amos confronts us with these sins and reminds us of how God feels about them.

But he also offers hope for restoration if we choose to confess and change our ways.  Sometimes it's only a small glimmer at the very end of a very ominous sounding book ~ like the case is here with Amos ~ but virtually all the prophets call God's people to repentance, promising God's grace and full restoration if we do.  I believe the promises made to Israel and Judah could very well be literal promises, but the fact that they are included in the Canon of Scripture leads me to believe these are promises somehow for us as well.  And what a beautiful picture is painted in the last few verses!  I don't know about you, but I am looking forward to the days described here, whether in reality or in the spirtual life of the Church!

And then in Galatians chapter 2, what caught my eye was the confrontation between Peter and Paul.  I struggle a bit sometimes with what looks a bit like Paul's superiority complex.  I wonder if that's how other people occasionally felt when he berated them for not living like they should or not setting the example they should??  Of course, this was written after the fact ~ maybe it just sounds harsher the way he writes about it than the actual, real-life conversation was.  In any case, I also sort of admire him for having the courage to confront another "super-apostle."  And I admire that he didn't write letters to the churches or talk to other church leaders; he spoke directly to Peter.  Like my Life Application Bible says, "...there is no place for backstabbing in the body of Christ."

People make mistakes ~ even very sincere, godly people ~ and it may take another sincere, godly person to draw their attention to it and set them straight.  I just hope I am developing the humility necessary to admit when I'm wrong and to continue to grow spiritually if and when I am confronted.  And that my relationships won't suffer, but get stronger as a result.










Tomorrow's passages: 2 Kings 15-16; Galatians 3

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Loved your thoughts about the books of the minor prophets being read and taken as a whole. The books do seem very specific, but there is always a lesson to be taken away from it and the theme of God's holiness, judgment yet always available offer of restoration with true repentence is a constant one.

I too find Paul to have somewhat of a superiority complex sometime - though for me the book of Philemon is where it comes out more strongly. I suppose this is where the problem of the written word being unable to convey tone of voice comes in.

But, here he is confronting Peter in love and holding him accountable - something there is far too little of today I think.

Miriam said...

I think there are definitely things to be learned from the minor prophets. One of the things I've noticed a few times is how often they are told to go prophesy elsewhere. "We don't like your message so we don't want to hear it." Sounds familiar.

I think I would be far too intimidated to confront someone like Peter. Peter, after all, was one of the ones who was actually WITH Jesus when he was on Earth; Paul was not. However, I do believe that Paul was right in what he said, and that the whole circumcision issue could have caused even more devastating damage in the body of believers than it already had.

Pamela said...

great thoughts. I had long given up on my bible reading by Amos last year and I can't say I remember reading it before. I think the message of redemption is very clear and that it is just as applicable today as it was then. I admire Paul too and his boldness to hold Peter accountable. I don't know if I would do the same thing face to face...