Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday, July 22 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Psalm 33, 43, and 66; Philippians 1.

I love how today's readings totally have a theme:  JOY!

I need to figure out a way to keep track of the Psalms and for what circumstances or needs they would be appropriate.  I've said that for a long time (to myself, anyway!), but never done anything about it, yet again today I found myself thinking, "I need to remember this one when I'm frustrated and feeling hopeless that things will ever change."  I probably won't remember it next time I need it, but what great words of encouragement and comfort!  He is in control, HE delivers us, HE loves us without fail, HE provides and protects us... He is holy.  Tough not to feel uplifted after reading something like that!!

Psalm 43 carries on in a similar vein, only coming from a slightly different angle ~ the author here resolves to rejoice in God despite feeling discouraged and foresaken.  Apparently, in some Hebrew manuscripts, Psalm 42 and 43 are one Psalm ~ not sure how or why they necessarily got seperated, since it certainly makes sense that 43 is the continuation and conclusion of 42.

And then Psalm 66 is a call for corporate praise and rejoicing in God's might, provision, protection, and love.

In both Psalm 33 and 66, we see pretty clearly that believers are to offer praise to God individually, but also make a practice of doing it corporately.  "It is fitting for the upright to praise [God]," 33:1 opens with, and vv. 20-22 end in a word of corporate prayer and request for blessing.  Psalm 66 opens up with a resounding "Shout with joy to God, all the earth!" and continues to instruct "Come and see what God has done" (v. 5), "Praise our God, O peoples" (v. 8), Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me." (v. 16)

When is the last time you excitedly proclaimed what God has done for you in the presence of friends? In my experience, this almost NEVER happens. The people with whom I associate most are the ones I talk about this kind of thing the LEAST with. In my church experience, testimonies tend to bore us, missionary reports are uninteresting, and talk of spiritual things and experiencing God is downright foreign, except maybe in the context of Sunday school class or Bible study...  You know, situations and places where it's expected.

According to these Psalms, it's something we should ALWAYS expect, something we're excited about when others do it ~ something WE find ourselves continuously compelled to do!!  We should crave hearing how God is working in the lives of others so that we can praise Him TOGETHER.  I don't really want to know why this isn't the case.  I'm afraid the answer has to do with how little we really care about true Christianity and what it's supposed to look like in our daily lives.  Oh, how I hope I am working to be more open with my praise, even though it's tough to get over the discomfort of essentially giving a mini-testimony and the awkwardness with which it's received.  I hope my enthusiasm for God and His praiseworthiness will be catchy!

And then we begin Paul's JOY letter to the Philippians.  There is SO much to tackle even in just the first chapter, but I thought I'd share rather a few of the statements my Bible makes in the introduction to the book:

In contrast to happiness stands joy.  Running deeper and stronger, joy is the quiet, confident assurance of God's love and work in our lives ~ that he will be there no matter what!  Happiness depends on happenings, but joy depends on Christ. (bold colour emphasis mine)

Philippians is a joyful book because it emphasizes the real joy of the Christian life.  The concept of rejoicing or joy appears 16 times in four chapters, and the pages radiate this positive message, culminating in the exhortation to "Rejoice in the Lord always, I will say it again: Rejoice!"  (4:4)

In a life dedicated to serving Christ, Paul had faced excruciating poverty, abundant wealth, and everything in between.  He even wrote this joyful letter from prison.  Whatever the circumstances, Paul had learned to be content, finding real joy as he focused all of his attention and energy on knowing Christ and obeying him.

The secret of Paul's joy is grounded in his relationship with Christ.  People today desperately want to be happy but are tossed and turned by daily successes, failures, and inconveniences.  Christians are to be joyful in every circumstance, even when things are ggoing badly, even when we feel like complaining, even when no one else is joyful.  Christ still reigns, and we still know him, so we can rejoice at all times. (all emphasis in original except where noted)

And by rejoicing in the presence of others and together with others, we will continue to fuel each other's enthusiasm for serving our wonderful Savior and Lord!




Tomorrow's passages: Psalm 67 and 71; Philippians 2

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love that we can have a joy that comes from Christ! I have some psalms marked that I read when I am discouraged or feel down. I love Psalm 100 - Make a joyful noise unto the Lord all ye lands! Serve the Lord with Gladness. Come unto His prescence with singing.

We should all be joyful that we are able to come into the prescence of God, no matter our circumstances.

Miriam said...

Great post, Tammi! I love this theme! It is sad that so many are so focused on trying to happy, or wondering why they're not happy, or working so hard for things they think will make them happy, that they completely miss out on joy or even contentment. Paul had more joy in his chains than many people experience in freedom.

Tammy said...

"Christ still reigns, and we still know him, so we can rejoice at all times." Love that!

One of my favourite verses as a piano student, then performer/teacher is Psalm 33:3 Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.

tammi said...

I caught that verse right away, too, Tammy! I remember you used it in a comment on my blog post about one of my piano students quitting because practicing was too much work!

Pamela said...

"Happiness depends on happenings, but joy depends on Christ."

I love that. It's so true too because happiness is fleeting but true joy lasts. It is the desire I have for my children that they will experience joy in life, not happiness, and that it will remind them of where joy comes from.