Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saturday, July 9-guest post by Pamela

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is 2 Kings 7-9; James 3

Scripture: James 3:1
1 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

Observation: When you are an example, people watch your every move.

Application: We are all teachers. We may not all have a class but we all teach. As parents we teach our children. As children of parents we model and pass on many of the attitudes we were taught growing up. As co-workers we teach our peers. We teach them what we will put up with, what our value system is, and what is important to us. As drivers, consumers, and patients we teach others where our patience level is. As Christians, we teach others what Jesus is like because we are striving to be like Him. We are all teachers.

Unfortunately, as James points out, we are also subject to intense scrutiny because we are examples to others. When we parent in a way different from others we face judgement. When we don't behave quite the way our parents taught us, we face judgement. When we are disrespectful or too lenient with coworkers, we face judgement. When we explode in road rage, yell at a cashier, or complain about wait times to anyone who will listen, we face judgement. Most importantly, when we act in a way different from Jesus, we face incredible judgement.

I do teach a classroom of kids as my "day job". I just finished my second year of teaching Grade 1. I have had the privilege of teaching 41 students so far. This also means I have had the joy of working with 80+ parents and grandparents that believe I am worthy of sharing knowledge with their child. This year in particular I have felt scrutinized. I try my best but sometimes there are things that I can't solve on my own. I am watched. Evaluated. Judged. I also believe this is part of my job because I need to be accountable for my actions. This is an important part of any teacher's job. The hardest, but no less important!

As Christians, we need to be sure what we are teaching to others (friends, family, coworkers, strangers, etc.) in our attitudes, actions, and words aligns with the message that God wants us to teach. We are going to be judged because people are watching to make sure our words and actions match and that's ok, because we need to be accountable. in our accountability our job as a teacher is given credibility because we become an example to others. Giving students an example to follow helps them to reach for what we want them to achieve. James also gives us the warning about the thing the interrupts our teaching from being effective: how we use our tongue.

James 3:8-10
8but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

Our words can be like poison. Poison. I have seen the hurt that words have caused and unfortunately I have caused hurt with my words as well. No one can control what happens when words are said, stories are shared, and rumours are started. What about our tone of voice? This can be like poison too. What kind of message am I teaching with the words that I use? What message should I be teaching to others?

Prayer: Dear Holy Lord, Only You are the perfect Teacher. You knew the right things to do and the right things to say.We fall so short of Your design for us. Thank you for teaching us that we can start new with You and that You forgive. Lord, make us good teachers. Let us draw others to You by what we say and do and help us to always keep our actions and our words in synch. Guard our tongues and help us to use them for Your Glory. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: 2 Kings 10-12 - James 4

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent insight!!

Jody said...

Very good post. Thanks so much! We are always teaching, even when we aren't teachers by career choice. I cannot imagine the pressure you face working with other peoples children day in and day out. I am so thankful for Christian teachers like you modelling Christ in the classroom. Thank you.

Miriam said...

Really great post. Thank you for the reminders to lead by example, and to watch tone of voice as well as the words we use.

Tammy said...

Great post Pam. Sadly, accountability is something that seems to be lacking in the church today.