Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday, July 10, 2011 - Jody

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is 2 Kings 10-12, James 4

Scripture: James 4:14-15
"Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that."

Observation:
What struck me about these verses is the reference to our lives as a mist. A mist that appears, then vanishes. Our lives here on earth are actually that inconsequential that they don't even qualify as a full rain, but rather just a mist.

Application:
Just last night, I was feeling overwhelmed and frustrated about everything I have to organize and plan in our lives. I was frustrated that I had to keep track of meals, plans, work, the last time kids were bathed, exercise and on and on. I just wanted to give it all to someone else to do.  Reading today's passage I am reminded yet again that this life is just a mist. It will vanish. What does matter is asking the Lord how to plan my life, how to spend my time and just like verse 15 says : "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this and that". I'm focusing too much on MY life here on earth and need to remember to step back and re-examine our activities and actions and remember, it's a vanishing mist.

Prayer:
Father God, step into my life. My day-to-day exhaustion of the ordinary. Take away my plans and replace them with yours. Open my eyes to see these tasks as exactly that - tasks in my life to bring me closer to you. Remind me Holy Spirit to seek your direction in even the most trivial of plans so each and every step is aligned with your will. Amen.

Tomorrow's passage: 2 Kings 13-14, James 5

4 comments:

Pamela said...

"not even a full rain, just a mist" I didn't even catch that as I read. You are right, sometimes we spend so much time focusing on the minor things-the insignificant things-that we lose sight of the bigger picture.

Tammy said...

Prioritizing things that have eternal value is key! Thanks Jody.

Tammy said...

There was a lot of gore in today's OT passage, but I've always loved the story of King Joash.

Tammy said...

One last comment!!

The last verse of James 4 is also convicting: Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.

Sins of ommission. They seem so much better or more justifiable than sins of commission and yet they are absolutely not!