Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thursday, August 4 ~ Miriam

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Psalm 123-125; 2 Thessalonians 3.

Good day!

The portion of today's reading that stood out to me was in 2 Thessalonians 3:7-9:

7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow.


There are days where I find it really hard to get going and do the things I know need doing.  That doesn't mean I'm sitting around doing nothing - that is impossible with anywhere from 3-6 children in my home on any given day.  However, there are times where I'm just doing what absolutely needs doing and leaving the rest for another day because "I don't feel like it today."  Or I find myself doing other things that don't really need to be done right now, but I'd rather do that than what I know I should  be doing.  


The verses above told me that I need to be more self-disciplined and diligent to make myself a model for my children to follow.  There are so many young people out there who truly believe that they deserve a high-paying job, a nice house or apartment, stylish designer clothes, a new car... I could go on... but they don't understand the concept of earning it.  This is NOT what I want for my children.  


I want my children to learn the satisfaction of accomplishment.  Of working hard for something and earning it.  The feeling of self-assurance that comes with knowing they are capable people.  I want them to learn to take good care of what they do have so that it will last.  I want to teach them to appreciate everything that we do have rather than being envious of what others have that we don't.  I want them to learn that you get out what you put in.  I want them to learn that working longer and harder for more stuff is a sacrifice of a different kind - a sacrifice of time with your family and those you care about - and you have to set your priorities.  All of that will mean nothing to them unless they see us living that out on a daily basis.  


I know that the Bible says that God will provide for our needs, and I do believe that wholeheartedly.  What I do NOT believe is that this means we can sit back and expect it to come to us without any effort on our part.  I firmly believe that God made us capable to work and earn our living.  We are not to worry about our needs being met, but we need to work and do what we can from our side, pray, and trust Him to work out the rest.  

 Tomorrow's passage:  Psalm 127-129; Acts 18.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Great post. That particular part stood out for me too. Summer is not a highly productive time for me and I definitely feel idle some days. These verses were a good reminder and your thoughts on the message that it sends to our kids is also something I needed to hear. Thanks.

Tammy said...

Unfortunately, that's always a good reminder. It's so easy to preach to the kids that we do what we need to do before we do what we want to do, than it is to live it myself. :(

Jody said...

Good post - thanks for the reminder! It's so easy to put off the things we don't really want to do until they HAVE to be done!