Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wednesday, August 3 - Kathryn

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Psalm 120-122, 2 Thessalonians 2

I couldn't help but think of Harold Camping  and all his followers who believed him when he said that the world would end May 21, 2011.  They were deceived.  The world went on as it usually does and I barely knew what had happened  (I'm not a big news reader).  I always shake my head when I hear of those who predict when the world will end, or Christ will return. This isn't the first time he's been wrong.  He predicted the world would end in 1994 and was wrong.  He has since changed his mind and said that the world will now end on October 21, 2011.  Whoops.  Sorry, wrong date.  Um, I think that if he was wrong two other times chances are he'll be wrong on this one too.  And it's not his track record that makes me think that.

1 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.
Helloooooo Harold, have you read your bible?  Specifically Matthew 24:36?
But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
And he said the bible is never wrong and he believes in his bible.  He must've missed that part.  

Our reading in Thessalonians points out that people will be deceived and that God will draw them into the deception.  I don't know how many people rode this bandwagon, but I'm sure a good many really bought into the lie.  I mean, I can sort of see the thought process.  'If I'm right, woohoo!  I'm ready!  If I'm wrong, well then no harm done.'  But if we buy into the lie we then propagate the lie.  And if we say that the Lord is coming back on a certain day and doesn't, then that reflects poorly on our Lord.  It's making Him out to be a liar too.  No one believes a liar.  I'm sure those who thought Harold was for sure, don't now.  When we put words in Gods mouth we risk turning people away from Him.

Deceivers and false teachers are a dime a dozen.  In my short lifetime there have been many.  Yet there is one Truth and one Truthteller.  His word is true, we just need to READ it.  He told us He would be coming back, we just don't know when.  He also told us there would be deceivers and, well, that has already come true.  We can trust His word.

And so, to quote our Thessalonian reading tonight because it fits so well:
So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter. May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

 Tomorrow's passage: Psalm 123-125, 2 Thessalonians 3

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Great post. I remember that news story too but didn't realize he'd picked a new date. I've often wondered why people believe him and base everything on his thoughts instead of God's word.

One of my favourite Psalms is 121. It washes over me like a wave of relief. As a busy August is on the horizon and I gear up for a new school year, this verse was timely to read for me today. It reminds me that God is my helper and He will sustain me through it all.

Miriam said...

I missed most of the hoopla surrounding that too and really only noticed it when a number of people on Facebook made snide remarks about him being wrong. I didn't realize either that he'd picked a new date. I feel sad for the people who buy into it, and I find it frustrating that things like that get so much publicity because it causes others to lump all Christians into a group of gullible people who will believe anything.

Tammy said...

I love Psalm 121 as well Pam!

"stand firm and hold fast to the teachings". To the Word, to the Truth! Like the Bereans, studying everything people say to see if it lines up with the scriptures.

We know He's coming back. We don't know when. Unless someone predicts a certain date - then we can almost no for sure that it'll be any day BUT that day! ;)

Thanks Kathryn!

Anonymous said...

We are so blessed to have a God that prepares us and equips us! In concert with the Holy Spirit opening our eyes, the knowledge and understanding to live well and not be deceived are there for us to plunder!