Monday, October 3, 2011

Monday, October 3rd

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Isaiah 56-58, Romans 11:1-18

I just wanted to write about one small passage from Isaiah today....

The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart;
devout men are taken away, and no one understands
that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil. Isaiah 57:1-2
(emphasis mine)

I've read that passage at least 3 times (because this is the 3rd year of reading the Bible in a year) and I don't think I've noticed it before.

No one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil.

I don't know necessarily if that would be a huge comfort while mourning the death of a loved one, but the reality is, of course, that it is true.

Heaven is perfect. In heaven there is no sorrow, no tears, no fear, no pain, no doubt, no greed, no evil, no sin, no darkness, no insecurity, no depression, no sickness. None of that!

For the Christian, death is not a defeat.
Death is not the end.
Death is only the beginning of an eternal future so glorious we cannot even begin to imagine.
Death frees us from Satan's attacks.
Death frees us from evil and all it's effects.

It reminds me of what we said to the girls when they were worried about Baret and if he was in pain during his coma.

We assured them that a coma was similar to sleeping and dreaming.
And I told them that for Baret this would end well, no matter what. He would either wake up to see the face of his parents, or he would wake up to see Jesus.

And really, that's what death is. Waking up to see Jesus.

It doesn't cause those of us left behind to miss them any less. But it gives us hope: that one day we will see them again, that one day we too will be free from all evil, that one day we will wake up and see Jesus.

Until then, we are to live in such a way that we are building treasures in heaven while actively pursuing the work God has prepared in advance for us to do right here.

Tomorrow's passage: Isaiah 59-61, Romans 11:19-36

1 comment:

tammi said...

That's an INCREDIBLE verse!! Somehow, I vaguely remember either this one or another one like it ~ maybe I'm thinking of the "precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of the saints" one. But this one is beautiful. I think it could actually be of some comfort in times of grief over the loss of believing loved ones. Somehow, I think especially in the case of children. I'm often worried about what kind of a future this world will present to my kids and it scares me a little. I don't want them to die before they're thoroughly old and grey and certainly not before I do, but if they do, I think this verse would comfort me and do well to remind me they will be spared all those things.

I always like Is. 58:11: "The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail."

Maybe it's just because I'm so horrible at gardening, but somehow that verse always speaks to me of the great promises God keeps to those who live for Him!