Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Tuesday, October 11th

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Micah 1-3, Acts 21:1-17

Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus." When he would not be dissuaded, we gave up and said, "The Lord's will be done." Acts 21:13-14 (emphasis mine)

My Life Application Bible says....
Paul knew he would be imprisoned in Jerusalem. Although his friends pleaded with him to not go there, he knew that he had to because God wanted him to. No one enjoys pain, but a faithful disciple wants above all else to please God. Our desire to please God should overshadow our desire to avoid hardship and suffering. When we really want to do God's will, we must accept all that comes with it - even the pain. Then we can say with Paul, "The Lord's will be done." (emphasis mine)

Tammi talked about this on Friday as well. God sometimes asked His disciples to do outrageous things - like the prophets. And they did it.

Sometimes He asked them to do dangerous things - like Paul and many of the other disciples. And they did it.

Sometimes He asks us to things that may simply be outside our comfort zone. Will we do it?

And I'm not trivializing the things He asks us to do. It can be hard to be faithful in the small things as well. And He may not only ask us for simple things. In fact, He may call us or, even worse, our children, to do something dangerous like becoming a missionary in a country that persecutes believers.

There are now two couples from our church with infants that have been called to Asian countries, one of which is so unsafe we cannot even know the exact country they're in. And they went! Not only did they go - their parents sent them, their own children and grandchildren with their blessing, saying "The Lord's will be done". I don't have grandkids, but I do have kids and I cannot even begin to imagine how hard that must be. But they did it. And they continue to do it every day. They continue to place their children and grandchildren in the hands of Almighty God and trust that His will, His purpose, His plan for their lives will bring Him glory, no matter what the personal cost may be.

And that, my friends, is faith. That is courage and conviction in action.

And I would be less than honest if I did not admit that I hesitate to pray "Here I am, use me. The Lord's will be done." because I fear what that might look like. And that, my friends, betrays a lack of faith.

So then I am left to pray, Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.

Tomorrow's passage: Micah 4-5, Acts 21:18-40

No comments: