Friday, November 25, 2011

Friday, November 25 ~ tammi

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Ezekiel 24-26; 1 Peter 2.

In today's reading, we come to the heart-breaking story of God informing Ezekiel that He, God Himself, would take the life of Ezekiel's wife as an illustration to the people of Israel.  It doesn't really say how much time elapsed between God's announcement and her death one evening, but it sounds like it was just one day.  How must they have spent their last hours together?  What a sacrifice to be God's faithful spokesman!

Boy, this really kinda makes me a little ashamed of the times I've whined about my little commitments to the church!  Ezekiel had to give something that was probably worth more to him than his own life.  Giving your own life is challenge enough, but giving a loved one's life while you're left behind is entirely a different sacrifice.  I wonder if Ezekiel pleaded with God that this was too much?  I mean, he asked God for some leeway when he was told to defile himself by cooking food over a human feces-fueled fire...  Yet here we see no bargaining, just willing submission.  That's faith.

That's being willing to give anything and lose everything because you truly believe only Christ is real gain.  Honestly, I don't think I can even imagine that kind of commitment.

One thing I found very interesting that I don't think I've noticed before is that last phrase in Chapter 24: "...At that time your mouth will be opened; you will speak with him and will no longer be silent. So you will be a sign to them, and they will know that I am the LORD."

My Bible noted a reference in chapter 3 and so I went back to check and look what happened there: "And you, son of man, they will tie with ropes; you will be bound so that you cannot go out among the people. I will make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth so that you will be silent and unable to rebuke them, though they are a rebellious house. But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you shall say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says.’ Whoever will listen let him listen, and whoever will refuse let him refuse; for they are a rebellious house."

Doing a little more digging, look what I found in chapter 33: "In the twelfth year of our exile, in the tenth month on the fifth day, a man who had escaped from Jerusalem came to me and said, “The city has fallen!” Now the evening before the man arrived, the hand of the LORD was upon me, and he opened my mouth before the man came to me in the morning. So my mouth was opened and I was no longer silent."

So Ezekiel was mute for a period of about 7-1/2 YEARS, except for the words God specifically gave him to say! It almost sounds like he may have been somewhat imprisoned in his own home during this time as well. God wanted Israel to know beyond the shadow of a doubt that whatever this man said was a true message from the one and only God.  The ONLY things that came out of his mouth were words God had put there until all the prophecies were fulfilled.

I wonder how much talking I'd do if I only spoke the words God specifically wanted other people to hear...

In 1 Peter, we continue looking at what it means to be holy as Christ is holy.  To live the separated life; the life of a person called to the royal priesthood.  This is the passage (beginning at 1:13) that first pricked my soul and started to make me aware that though I'd been a professing Christian for as long as I could remember, I had never really considered or cared much how that was supposed to make my life LOOK.  Belonging to God, being CHOSEN by God for the express purpose of bringing Him glory by spreading His fame.... what an incredibly humbling thought!!  Very sobering, too!

I find myself often wondering if God isn't a little sorry He chose me, like He seemed to regret choosing Israel.

And then I remember this letter was written by Peter.  The man whose denial arguably hurt Jesus more than Judas ever did.  And I remember the forgiveness and restoration that occurred on the beach that one morning, after the risen Jesus cooked the dejected fishermen breakfast.  And I realize I, too, can be forgiven, recommissioned, and still be used in powerful ways.  Because it is Christ who works through me if I am willing to let Him.

Sometimes it's difficult and He requires hard sacrifices, like He did from Ezekiel, but He promises "the one who trusts in Him will never be put to shame."








Tomorrow's readings: Ezekiel 27-29; 1 Peter 3

4 comments:

Miriam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miriam said...

Oopsie... sorry - I phrased that comment in a way that could easily be misunderstood, so I have to fix it.

"I wonder how much talking I'd do if I only spoke the words God specifically wanted other people to hear..."

One of the things I really struggle with is knowing when to talk and when to keep my big mouth shut. Thanks for this reminder. Great post!

Tammy said...

Just a few of the convicting verses in 1 Peter 2 that jumped out at me...

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light." (v9)

"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us" (11-12)

"Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God" (16)

"...if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God." (20b)

Tammy said...

That is simply amazing about Ezekiel. For over 7 yrs literally only speaking the Words of God. Wow!