Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday, November 20th

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Ezekiel 14-15, 2 Timothy 1

In our Timothy passage Paul is writing to Timothy from a dungeon as he awaited what he knew was his imminent death. As he was waiting to die, he wrote these words to Timothy, the last words we have from Paul. And in this passage he's encouraging Timothy to be courageous.

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purposes and grace.

Paul first reminds Timothy that God had given him specific gifts for the purpose of ministry and advancement of the kingdom. MacArthur puts it pretty frankly in his sermon ....

Courage then rises initially out of a sense of giftedness, that I have been enabled by the Holy Spirit, infused with a spiritual gift for the purpose of ministry in the name of Christ and for the advancement of His Kingdom. And if I know that I am divinely prepared and enabled to serve Christ and to proclaim His name and to represent Him and to build His body, then I have to do what I was designed to do. And frankly, if I don't do that I have violated the very reason for my existence. Not to use my spiritual gift is to place myself in a mode where I might as well be dead as far as usefulness to the church or the Kingdom. (emphasis mine)

Paul then tells Timothy to consider his resources. He's been given the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8), he's been given love (Romans 5:5) and he's been given self-discipline (Galations 5:23). He has been given the resources necessary to minister effectively.

He then reminds Timothy to accept and anticipate the fact that suffering and opposition is inevitable for anyone loyal to the gospel.

Then Paul charges Timothy to remember the power of God.

the God who from eternity past planned the plan of redemption, brought it to appearing in Jesus Christ, saved you, made you holy, gave you life. That same God is your God. So remember the power of God.

Paul then instructs Timothy to understand his duty. Paul was called to be a herald, an apostle and a teacher. When we have a duty, we are bound to do it, we are compelled to do it - it is not really even a choice.

duty can be the greatest joy or the deepest pain. And I'll tell you how. You do it and it provides the greatest joy. You don't do it and it provides the deepest pain. Duty undone is a killer.

Paul then goes on to explain why it is he is able to bear up under suffering and persecution. It's because he trusts his security and his security is found in this
because I know whom I have believed

Please notice it's not in what I have believed, it's in whom I have believed. The thing that sustained him in suffering was not his theology, it was his God. Do you understand the difference? The thing that sustained him in trials was not doctrine, but fellowship...And because I know Him, follow the verse, "I am convinced.".....I know that the Lord is able to hold on to my life until I stand that day to receive my eternal reward.....

"O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you." And what was entrusted to him? The truth, sound doctrine...sound doctrine.

The reason most people don't have the courage of their convictions is because they don't have convictions. Before you can put your life on the line for what you believe, you have to believe it....

So he is saying guard the truth, verse 14, retain the standard of sound wholesome life-giving words, be committed to the proper theological structure, the proper interpretation of Scripture, the proper outline of the truth that produces spiritual growth, spiritual maturity. Have a theology....

but hold it with faith toward God and love toward man. In that way you'll be doing it in the Spirit of Christ Jesus who provides that faith and provides that love...

So, how do you avoid being ashamed of Christ? Renew your gift, consider your resources, accept your suffering, remember your God, realize your duty, trust your Savior, affirm your doctrine, and lastly, choose your associates.
(emphasis mine)

And, of course, I thought of this song


Tomorrow's passage: Ezekiel 16-17, 2 Timothy 2

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Great post! Thank you.