Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thursday, December 22 ~ Miriam

Today's reading from the Chronological OT/NT Reading Plan is Esther 6-8; Revelation 14.

There are a few reasons to love the story of Esther.  One of my reasons that we read today is how all of Haman's plotting turned against him.  He plotted to kill Mordecai, but instead, not only did he die on the very gallows he had built for Mordecai, but he first had to lead Mordecai around the city to be honoured in the very way he himself had wished to be honoured.  He thought much of himself, felt that he deserved or was owed honour and respect, but he was humbled greatly before finally being executed.  Sometimes it seems that people do bad things all the time and get away with it, and good people work hard and work long and seemingly get the short end of the stick all too often.  This is a story where the good people are rightly honoured and the bad guy is punished. Good stuff, right?

Justice is a good and important thing (justice, not revenge).  And yet, what if there were only justice and not mercy?  Would we not "drink of the wine of God's fury" (Rev. 14:10) along with everyone else?

Many people think that human beings are basically good.  After all, most people haven't killed anyone, many don't steal or commit adultery, and they try to treat others the way they'd like to be treated most of the time.  Too many people think they start off with an A and maybe move down to a B or a C if when they do bad things.  God couldn't really send them to hell for a B or a C, right?  Not if He is a God who loves them.  Guess what?  We're all getting an F without Jesus.  Not a C or even a D.  An F.

A God who loves us gave us a way to live instead of die.  He doesn't spitefully pack people off to hell for disobeying Him.  We were headed there already all on our own.  He gave us our only way out because He is a God of love and mercy.  He sacrificed his own Son, even after seeing and hearing him praying and crying out so desperately for another way that he was sweating drops of blood.  To those who have lost a child, I can imagine it is hard to think this way when you are grieving, but I don't think anyone else could have more empathy for what that loss feels like than God.  And yet, He did so willingly for US!  Each and every one of us!  How, in the face of all this, can we doubt God's love?  I, personally, can't imagine why He would love each of us so much, and yet He must.  If He could go through the pain and grief of the death of His own Son, who did nothing wrong, for the sake of human beings who mess things up ALL the time, He must love us.  There is just no other reason why He would do such a thing.

As we celebrate the birth of Christ this weekend, I hope we'll all remember not only the miracle of a virgin conceiving and giving birth, or the star of Bethlehem, or the choir of angels, but why he came and that he was born in a lowly stable, and his birth was celebrated by kings (the high society) and shepherds (the lowest of the low) because he came for ALL people.

Hallelujah!


 Tomorrow's passage:  Esther 9-10; Revelation 15.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Love how you tied in the theme of justice from both Esther and Revelation and Christmas. It is truly amazing that God willingly sacrificed His Sonfor us.

tammi said...

Yeah. What SHE ^ said!! :)

Tammy said...

Another thing I thought of (prompted by comments in my Life Application Bible) is how much like these main characters am I?

How much of Haman is in me? Do I want to control others? Am I threatened when I don't get the appreciation or recognition I think I deserve? Is my instinct for revenge when my pride is attacked? Am I arrogant? Do I let hatred and bitterness build up in my heart?

How much of Mordecai is in me? Do I take care of those in need like Mordecai did when he adopted his cousin? Do I do the right thing, even when I'm the only one? Do I trust God that all things will work together for good, even when I can't see it? Am I willing to do right even if the rewards are far off (and maybe only given in heaven)?

How much like Esther am I? Am I courageous, willing to risk my life? Do I prepare for those difficult times by prayer and fasting? Do I go ahead boldly and act when I know what the right thing is to do?

Lots of room for self-inspection here!