Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday, January 9th

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Job 21-23
Today's scripture focus is Hebrews 3:7-11

So, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert, where your fathers tested and tried me and for forty years saw what I did. That is why I was angry with that generation, and I said, ‘Their hearts are always going astray, and they have not known my ways.’ So I declared on oath in my anger, ‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ” Hebrews 3:7-11

No matter how many miracles God performed, no matter how faithful He was, the Israelites hardened their hearts over and over again.  And so they missed out on the Promised Land.  If we resist God's will over and over again, we will eventually harden our hearts and miss out on the rest God wants for us - spiritual rest in this lifetime, and eternity to come.

One thing that stood out to me was "Today".  Today!  Recognize God's voice, resist the hardening of your heart - today!  Now is the time.  We do not know when Christ will return.  And we do not know at what point our continual bad choices will result in the hardening of our hearts.  Our opportunity to repent is now...today!

Tomorrow's scripture focus: Hebrews 3:12-15
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Job 24-28

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Wow, thanks for pointing that out! I totally missed the word TODAY when I read the verses.