Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tuesday, March 27th

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Joshua 16-18
Today's scripture focus is John 1:29-34

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’ 31 I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel.”
 32 Then John gave this testimony: “I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. 33 I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I have seen and I testify that this is the Son of God.”


John MacArthur (emphasis mine)...
the Jews wanted a prophet and God gave them a lamb. The Jews wanted a king and God gave them a lamb because you can't reign with God until you're related to God. And you can't be related to God if there's sin in the way. And so God had to send a sacrifice to get rid of sin before there could be a relationship. And it's just that simple. Until you come to the point of sacrificially realizing...of realizing the sacrifice of Christ for your sin, there's no place for fellowship between you and God. And so God came to die on a cross as a lamb because He had to be a lamb before He could ever be a King because He'd have nobody to reign with if He didn't die for their sins. 


And so, John's first message [from yesterday's passage] is just simple. What is it? He is here. Watch his second message [today's passage]. Behold Him. Do you see the difference? Here He is, now look at Him and see Him for who He is. You see, that's the second step in salvation. Once you know that Christ is and that He's alive, the second thing you want to do is see Him for who He is. And who is He? The living Word and the Lamb of God. And when you see Christ as the Lamb of God, you recognize your own sin too, don't you? And so John says behold Him, the living Word, the dying lamb. My first message is He's here, my second message is look at Him and see Him for who He is. 

One thing that I found very interesting about this passage was that even though John knew Jesus as his cousin, he did not know that He was the Christ - until God told him!  And the reason we, too, can know that Jesus is the Son of God is because God tells us.

Tomorrow's scripture focus: John 1:35-51
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Joshua 19-21

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Interesting point that John didn't know Jesus was the Christ until he was told.