Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tuesday, August 7th

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Jeremiah 1-3
Today's scripture focus is Matthew 10:32-42


32 “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.
34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn
“‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law 
36     a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’
37 “Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
40 “He who receives you receives me, and he who receives me receives the one who sent me. 41 Anyone who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is a righteous man will receive a righteous man’s reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.”


A true disciple will confess Christ because he fears God more than man. (v32-33)

A true disciple will confess Christ even if that means choosing God over family and creating division in  closest relationships. (v35-37)

A true disciple will confess Christ even if that costs him his life. (v38-39)

A genuine Christians loves Christ above all else.

V40-42 tell us that those who receive us, receive Christ.  That those who receive Christ, receive God.  Therefore, those who receive us, receive God.  You become an agency of men receiving God Himself...What an incredible thought. We give people the trinity, as it were......a prophet is what he says, and a righteous man is what he is...and they really speak of the same individual. For a true disciple lives what he says. Right? He speaks and he is. He speaks the word forth and he is righteous....

It could be a pastor, or a teacher, or a missionary, or an evangelist, or anyone who presents Christ, the one who receives that one will share that one's reward. If the Lord gives to me a reward for proclaiming to you, He'll give you the same reward for receiving what I proclaim. And we all share....

The prophet is his task, the righteous man is his character. But he's a representative of God. And He says - When you go out representing God by your life and your lip, by your speaking and your living, those who receive you will receive the reward that you receive....
So you become the instrument by which others are blessed.....

You want to be a blessing in the world? Then confess Christ before men. Then stand up boldly and don't mitigate your testimony, and don't be ashamed of Christ. And let your life become the source of their reward. 

This statement is one to think about...
If the reward for receiving someone who is only a prophet gets a prophet's reward, and receiving someone who is only a righteous man gets a righteous man's reward, what will it mean to receive someone when receiving that person amounts to receiving God?

Tomorrow's scripture focus:  Matthew 11:1-13
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Jeremiah 4-6

No comments: