Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thursday, November 22 ~ Miriam

Today's passage from the Chronological Bible In a Year Reading Plan is James.
Today's scripture focus is Romans 9:19-21.

19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[a] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

Oh man.  Did these verses kind of slap anyone else in the face?  "Who are you, Miriam, to talk back to God?"  Why is it that I question why God made me the way I am?  What makes me think that I know better than He does?

Really, when I think about it, I know that God put me where I am and put certain people in my life and all of those things are for a reason.  I know that I was made for certain things, given certain talents and abilities (and not given others), in order to serve His purpose.  We hear it all the time - God doesn't make mistakes.  (Unfortunately, a lot of people use that as an excuse to live in ways they shouldn't, saying "God made me this way and He doesn't make mistakes, so it's fine."  But that's not what I want to talk about today.)

I will use myself as an example.  All I ever wanted when I was growing up was to have a family.  There was never a doubt in my mind that I would have kids one day.  And when the time came, my husband and I had absolutely no trouble doing so.  That joke about putting the slippers side by side next to the bed and getting pregnant?  Yeah, that was pretty much us.  Obviously, God gave me the desire and the ability to have children.  Does this mean I'm a perfect parent?  Absolutely NOT.  In fact, some days, I think if my kids turn out well it will be  in spite of me rather than because of me.  But this does not change the fact that God made me a parent, and more recently a caregiver to other people's children as well, and even though I fail miserably some days, He still gave me and continues to provide what I need to do my best.  Ultimately, children belong to him and have been entrusted to our care.  So even though I am pottery for common use, as long as I am working for His glory rather than my own and relying on Him to supply my needs, then I am demonstrating trust that He made me the way I am on purpose, and I do not need to be insecure or overly concerned about how others perceive my success or lack thereof.

Does that make sense?  I kind of feel like I'm rambling.  Sorry.  Anyway, have a wonderful Thursday.  To all our friends in the States, Happy Thanksgiving!

in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Tomorrow's scripture focus:  Romans 9:22-24.
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage:  Acts 15-16.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Yes! He has fashioned us according to His purpose, to glorify Him. May we do so!