Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday - October 14 - Tiffany


Today's scripture focus is Luke 18:1-8


Today's focus is the parable of the persistent widow.  In which, a widow will not leave a judge alone until he says "I gotta do something, she's driving me crazy."
 
When I picture this parable, I think of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  Have any of you seen that?  How long has it been since you've seen it?  It's a regular in my house, I love it.  At the beginning, Ferris calls his friend Cameron, who claims he is sick and dying, to bum a ride for their skip day from school.  Cameron finally gets into his car and says "He'll keep calling me.  He'll keep calling me until I come get him."  And then in frustration he punches his passenger side car seat.
 
I see the judge saying the same thing "She's gonna keep coming back.  I'll see her again tomorrow." And just being frustrated by the whole thing!
So, like Cameron, he gives in.  He does the right thing (though I don't know that Cameron did the right thing), and the judge gives this lady justice.
 
This parable seems rather straightforward.  Jesus says "See?  Even the unjust will do what is right when bothered long enough.  God is just, and He will give justice quickly.  He hears your cries day and night."
 
And then Jesus asks an interesting question.  "When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?"
 
He just got through telling us that God will give us justice, and quickly.  And for most listening to Jesus that day, I'm sure they thought that meant only good things for them and bad things for their oppressors or enemies. 
But Jesus warns us not to think that way.  We won't be saved because of who our ancestors were, or what rules our families follow.  God gives justice to the righteous and unrighteous alike.  And He is looking for faith, and followers, not just rule keepers.

No comments: