Monday, November 3, 2014

Monday, November 3 - by Pamela

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Ezekiel 5-6, Song of Solomon 5, James 2
Today's scripture focus is Mark 11:22-26


22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly[a] I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” [26] [b]
Scripture: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

Observation: Name it and Claim it because Jesus said so.

Application: My husband (and others!) have called me the "name it and claim it" person. I set up these massive dreams that seem so incredibly impossible and yet occasionally they do come true. Like that time I found the perfect storybook dress up costume (link here) or the time I wrote out my dream job (link here) and then 10 days later this happened (link here) or many other situations like this. My husband shakes his head sometimes because our oldest daughter is so much like me and for her it seems like the "name it and claim it" idea works too.

While I would be the first one to dismiss the idea that I prayed for it and then it came true, it struck me today while reading this passage that "naming it and claiming it" is exactly what Jesus says we should do. Why can't we dream big? Why can't we imagine the impossible? Why can't we approach the creator of the entire universe with a seemingly impossible prayer request?

I have to say that even though I have affectionately been dubbed the "name it and claim it" girl, I don't think I actually believe it on the really big things. I can list off a huge list of wants for our house and miraculous be granted every single item on my list. I can go in search of a certain item in a thrift store and be fortunate to find it. I can dream big about my future job and a dream to stay at it when all directions point to it ending after just one year (but it didn't). I can "name it" when it seems like the outcome can still be good in a variety of other ways....it wouldn't really matter if I didn't find a certain item in the thrift store....it wouldn't matter if ALL the items on my wish list would't have been checked off.....it wouldn't really matter if my job would end after just one term because maybe I could just get another position. I have an easier time "naming it" if the "claiming it" part didn't actually matter...when it does...that's where my faith falls short.

My heart is heavy as I pray for my cousin and her husband to see their desire for a child come to fruition. My relationship with my parents and sister is non-existant. The uncertainty of my children's future weighs heavy on me as I wonder what lies ahead for them spiritually, socially, and educationally. Jesus tells us: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
Why do I have so much trouble believing this when He has demonstrated this in so many ways and yet I am discouraged by the size of the mountain. 

Prayer: Dear Lord. You are the creator of all. The all-knowing, all-powerful, almighty. I know this with my head but help me believe it with my heart. Thank you for your faithful reminders that you give so graciously. Thank you for the reminders that you are the God of the big things and the small. Pour out your mercy on me as I struggle to realize that You can take it on even if I can't see how. Amen.

Tomorrow's scripture focus is Mark 11:27-33
Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage is Ezekiel 7-8, Song of Solomon 6, James 3

No comments: