Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunday, March 15th: Job 25-27, 1 Corinthians 9

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Job 25-27; 1 Corinthians 9

SOAP

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.

Observation: Exercising self control results in an eternal reward.

Application: Athletes are dedicated individuals who put in a maximum amount of preparation and training in order to win their event.  Who won the 200m gold medal in the last Olympics?  I have no idea, and I'm sure most people don't remember.  It was a perishable prize.  But to the winner, it was worth it.

As believers, are we putting in a maximum amount of effort into our spiritual lives?  Are we engaged in spiritual training? Are we spreading the gospel?  Are we being intentional about living our lives in such a way that God is glorified?  Are we doing all that we can for the Kingdom?  Because those results are worth it. Those results will last for eternity.

Prayer:  Dear God, help me not to become so wrapped up in the things of this world that I neglect my spiritual development.  Break my heart for what breaks yours.  Help my eyes to see through Kingdom-coloured glasses.  Help me to be proactive and intentional about living my life to glorify You.  Amen.





Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Job 28-29; 1 Corinthians 10:1-18

2 comments:

Conrad said...

"Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous, moralists, loose-living, immoralists, loose-living moralists, the defeated, the demoralized-whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ-but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!" (1Corinthians 9:19-23 - Message)

This passage stood out to me as a strong reminder. We are not called to pick and choose whom we try to reach, but everyone. We are to step out of our world while not violating our allegiance to Christ, and enter theirs in order to be effective in reaching them.

If I knew about a cure for cancer I would want to let everyone know who has it. Why then, would I not want to let everyone know about Christ being the ultimate healer who offers eternal life?

Pamela said...

The same verse you highlighted stood out for me.

I've been working hard for the last few months to get into back into shape. I've been very careful about what I eat, I try to jump on the treadmill, and I am trying really hard. It's not easy and results have been slow...but I'm still keeping at it. In our walk with Christ, results can be slow too, but we need to keep at it to see the results....and some results we may never see in our earthly life.