Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tuesday, March 17th: Job 30-31, 1 Corinthians 10:19-33 ~ Nathan

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Job 30-31, 1 Corinthians 10:19-33

In these chapters Job lists off all the good he has done in his life,  in the hopes that God is listening and will explain to Job why He has done this to him. I can tell after reading these chapters that Job lived a more Godly life than I live,  and yet he still has to go through this dark valley. This blows away the theory by some that talk about how good things happen to good people. Just because we do things right doesn't mean that everything will work out perfect for us here on earth. Our focus should be on what's coming after our days on earth.

One part of chapter 30 that stuck out to me,  was how bad things got for Job in verses 10-14. Here he talkes about the sons of his most useless workers who are now making fun of him and showing disrespect to him. They even come to spit in his face (verse 10).  This must have been one of the most humbling times for Job,  and would have felt like things couldn't get any worse. Not only the personal humiliation, but the relationships between boss and worker that once were good and now not. 

The verse in 1 Corinthians 10 that stood out to me was the last one, where it says,
"... I try to please everyone in every way. I am not trying to do what is good for me. I am trying to do what is good for the most people so that they can be saved."

That to me is the bottom line, doing things in life so that people can be saved. This can be many things,  but it needs to be our goal.

 Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Job 32-33, 1 Corinthians 11:1-16

3 comments:

Conrad said...

The same verse in the NT passage stood out for me. Everything we do is to be for God's glory, and doing so will win others over to Christ.

Pamela said...

This verse stood out for me:

(from the NIV)

23 “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. 24 No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.

I think this is the mentality of society. "I have the right to do anything". It's hard to stand up with a black and white outlook in a world that is, literally, 50 shades of Grey.

Tammy said...

The part in Job that talked about the young upstarts mocking him reminded me of how our society marginalizes the elderly and handicapped. We need to remember that our own physical capabilities will not last forever, that God loves everyone equally, that all people are created in His image, and that we ought to love them all.

Same verses stood out to me in Corinthians as well. Especially the part about doing everything for His glory. Truly that's what it comes down to.