Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday April 17, 2015 Leviticus 26-27; Revelation 4 ~ Elizabeth

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Leviticus 26-27; Revelation 4

I have to admit, Leviticus is one of those books of the Bible that just makes my eyes cross. Not as a whole...I do find much of it fascinating. However, the repetitiveness of it does get to me. However, I can't help but notice that in today's retelling of the Commandments and the specifics of everything is so important. It's not just that you do what God tells you, but that you do it a very specific way. There's no room for error here. No slacking. No thinking that God doesn't really care THAT much so He'll let it slide this time. Nope. Everything has to be done how He wants or it doesn't count. It's all or nothing. Thankfully for us we don't have to do everything perfectly. We can't. The Law is a mirror showing us how impossible it is for us miserable sinners to do anything in a manner pleasing to God. Thanks to Jesus Christ, when God looks at us He doesn't see the poor miserable sinners that we are, but the beloved Son who took our sins upon Himself so that God would only see His righteousness when He looks at us.

In our Revelation reading today, we have a description of the heavenly beings and the songs of praise being sung continually day and night. It's another one of those parts where my eyes cross, but not because it's tedious to read, but because I'm a visual learner. I have to be able to picture in my mind what I'm reading or I'm just lost. I can't picture this glorious sight. I wish I could but I just can't. It's beyond my poor little brain's ability. However, that's OK because one day I will see it and I'll forget everything I ever saw here on earth. And that's thanks to Christ's sacrifice for me that causes God to see Him and not me. It is good.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Daniel 1-2; Revelation 5

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I skimmed portions of Deffinbaugh's sermon on Lev 26 and he pointed out that parents can learn a lot about disciplining their children from this chapter. We should make sure the rules and consequences are clearly communicated; don't make threats, but rather promises; have a sequence of consequences which get progressively worse according to the disobedience; make sure there's both positive rewards adn negative consequences; and no matter where in the process of discipline we are we always need to assure our kids of our love for them, encourage repentance, and give hope for restoration.

Tammy said...

The Revelation passage reminds us very clearly that God is on His throne - He is in complete control of everything and has absolute rule and authority over everyone. One day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord!

Pamela said...

I agree that Leviticus is not my favourite book either. It's usually my stumbling block when I've tried reading the bible in order starting from Genesis.

I think what Tammy said above makes me see this portion with new eyes. It is just parenting. We desire the best for our children. We make rules and expectations to help them reach that. Our children often fail to meet our expectations and they push the boundaries on our rules. We forgive them. We desire for them to realize what we initially said was better. We need to be parented.

Revelation is hard for my brain to wrap itself around too.