Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Wednesday, August 5th: Psalms 68-69, Acts 24 ~ Nathan

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Psalms 68-69; Acts 24

In Psalm 69 we read how David was attacked and hated for reasons he didn't know,
4. Those who hate me without reason outnumber the hairs of my head; many are my enemies without cause, those who seek to destroy me. I am forced to restore what I did not steal.

Sometimes we feel attacked for no good reason. We feel like like we're being ripped off and treated unfairly. Is this a time to feel sorry for ourselves?  Honestly,  that's what I've sometimes done when this situation happens to me. When this happens,  we need to answer like the Psalmist does in verse 29 and 30:
(29)But as for me, afflicted and in pain— may your salvation, God, protect me. (30) I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.

Trusting in Him and praising Him for the salvation He's given us.

In our New Testament reading we see how the local judges and politicians didn't really know what to do with Paul. In my opinion this was probably because down deep they probably felt that what Paul preached was probably partly true,  and they didn't want to mess with a higher power. We know it to be 100% true,  but I don't think they let themselves believe that totally.

We see this in how Felix dealt with Paul, he wanted firstly for Paul to  pay him in order to be released,  then Felix waited long enough and  handed over the responsibility of "handling"  Paul to the next  governor.  Felix played both sides,  he wanted to keep the Jews happy and at the same time he didn't want to upset Paul.  If he really felt Paul was disrespecting God,  I'm sure Paul would have been put to death immediately.

An interesting note,  we see reference in verse 14 to "the Way".  This was the term used back then for what we now call Christianity.  We see this term used a few times in the New Testament. 


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage passage: Psalms 70-71; Acts 25

3 comments:

Tammy said...

David's response is certainly better than our natural one!

It's so true that often people play both sides, or sit on the fence, simply to avoid making a decision - for whatever reason. But the thing is, not making a decision IS making a decision. If you are not choosing FOR Jesus, you are against Him. There is no middle ground, no matter what people would like to believe.

Pamela said...

I think it's interesting that you mentioned he was trying to play both sides. As we move into an election time, we see our politicians doing the same thing. Let us be strong in our faith and stand firm in what is right. Like Tammy said, not making a decision IS a decision.

Conrad said...

But the righteous shall be glad; they shall exult before God; they shall be jubilant with joy! Psalm 68:3

Let us make good decisions that will allow us to be filled with joy!