Monday, February 29, 2016

Monday, February 29: Numbers 10:11-13:33 By Pamela

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Numbers 10:11-13:33

Scripture: Numbers 13:30-31 30 But Caleb quieted the people before Moses and said, “Let us go up at once and occupy it, for we are well able to overcome it.” 31 Then the men who had gone up with him said, “We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we are.”
 
Observation: Sometimes we don't see the good in situations and we only see what could go wrong and focus on that.

Application: When the spies entered the land of Canaan, it was easy to see that the land was plentiful. How could it not be when it takes two men to carry a bunch of grapes?! However, it was the obstacles that stood in the way of them occupying the land that they focused on. It didn't seem to matter that this was the land that God had promised them. I think that tends to be our concern today too. When things seem too big to overcome, it almost encourages us to give up before we even begin instead of trusting the God who can make the impossible possible.

Seven years ago, almost exactly, I was told that my first teaching position (and my dream job) would come to an end in June. The school was eliminating a teaching position and since I was the last person to be hired I would also be the first one let go. (I posted this on that day) Like the spies in Caanan, I could see all the good things in my school--the Christian environment, the wonderful families, the amazing coworkers, the support of administrators...literally a job flowing with milk and honey. It didn't seem to matter to me that God had placed me in this job at that time for a reason. I could only see what I believed would never be mine. Just like the spies, I was relying on my own devices and only on the knowledge of everything that I knew at that point. It truly seemed impossible for me to be able to stay... I felt myself being overcome with despair and I too believed: “We are not able to go up against the [odds], for they are stronger than we are.” It was impossible....or so I thought....or so the spies thought. However, nothing is impossible with God.

Now here I am in my 7th year of teaching at that same school, in that same grade, and still believing that I have my dream job. (Details here if you want to know how God worked out an impossible situation) We serve a God who is still in the habit of making the impossible possible. I'm so thankful that we do. Overcoming hard situations is His specialty and causes us to draw near to Him. It takes the kind of faith that Caleb had to believe that He can and will. Even when we don't (because I know 7 years ago I sure didn't!!) God can use situations to grow our faith.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, You are the God of the impossible. We don't often believe it fully and our faith is tested and tried as we struggle with what we believe we are capable on our own. Help us to realize that we can do nothing without You and the You can make the impossible possible. Amen.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year PassageNumbers 14-15
 

3 comments:

Conrad said...

I am not able to carry all this people alone; the burden is too heavy for me. - Numbers 11:14

Even Moses felt overwhelmed when he thought he was carrying the people on his own. Moses forgot that it was the Lord who was carrying the Israelites (and carrying Moses too). A good reminder for me to remember that when I am overwhelmed, that I need to remember that it was God who brought me here and He'll carry me through it.

Nathan said...

Numbers 11:10
10 Moses heard the people weeping throughout their clans, everyone at the door of his tent. And the anger of the Lord blazed hotly, and Moses was displeased.

How frustrating and disheartening it must have been for Moses to hear complaining from the people. Moses didn't quit though, I would have felt like quiting and letting someone else lead these complainers. I'm amazed at Moses' patience, obviously a strength God gave him.

Tammy said...

The Israelites remind me of children with how much they complain!

I, too, noticed the focus of the spies on the bad instead of the good. It was that word "but". IOW - this part is good... BUT. If only they would've stopped before the "but"! A good reminder to us to focus on the good and not get stuck on the "but".