Friday, March 18, 2016

Friday, March 18th: Deuteronomy 20-22 ~ Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: Deuteronomy 20-22

My apologies for not having this posted for the early risers.

I've often thought of myself as a lover, and not a fighter.  Well, today's reading begins with some instruction and preparation for battle.  If I was one of those soldiers at the time, I probably would never have seen the battlefield.  I wouldn't be able to use the "getting married" trick, but I could always build a house to use the "built a new house and never used it yet" line, or just simply tell the truth and say that I was scared.  Either way, the general would have told me to pack my bags and head home!  After all, if you want to win a battle, you need to have the fittest, strongest, and most determined soldiers to conquer.

The Hebrews knew that where they were going, and what they needed to do would take dedication.  Thus, all the fighting men in the Hebrew army were to be men who were there willingly and without hesitation.  "He shall say: “Hear, Israel: Today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not panic or be terrified by them."  Deuteronomy 20:3

This reading has to do with the Hebrew army and physical battle, but it reminded me of an army that I can relate to........God's army.

God's army is no different.  God does not want any unwilling participants, soldiers with excuses, or the faint at heart.  I want to be a soldier in the army of God.  I have not been drafted so I can serve without a grudge.  I want to be listed for eternity.  I do not want to be a sell out by opting to avoid the battle, but rather choose to be a faithful, dependable, and reliable soldier.

With Christ as the Commanding Officer and the Holy Scripture as the code of conduct, along with faith and prayer as weapons, I will triumph.   "For the Lord your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.” Deuteronomy 20:4

I can do all things through Christ.  I will not be discouraged.  The devil cannot defeat me.  People will not disillusion me.  The government will not silence me.  My knees will not buckle.  I will obey my Commanders commands.  I will praise His name.  I am a soldier marching towards Heaven.  

I am not perfect, and I will stumble.  But in the end, when I am called home from the battlefield, I will be promoted to captain and will reign with our Commanding Officer in Heaven.



Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Deuteronomy 23-25

2 comments:

Nathan said...

I like the way you put it - marching in the Lord's army. We march and obey a commander who we cannot physically see or hear. This sounds silly to outsiders, but we know it to be true, and the only way. Our goal should be to continue marching faithfully, while working to get others to join us.

Tammy said...

Great post Conrad. We need to remember that we fight a spiritual battle every day.