Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Wednesday, April 20: 2 Samuel 1: 1-3:5, 2 Samuel 23: 8-17, 1 Chronicles 11: 10-19, 2 Samuel 23: 18-39, 1 Chronicles 11: 20-47

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is 2 Samuel 1:1-3:5, 2 Samuel 23:8-17, 1 Chronicles 11:10-19, 2 Samuel 23:18-39, 1 Chronicles 11:20-47

A few verses that stood out to me...
- 2 Samuel 1: 26
I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women.

David shows how close he was to his friend Jonathan, and how grieved he was at his passing. What a blessing it is to have good friends, something to remember to be thankful for.


- 2 Samuel 3:1
The war between the house of Saul and the house of David lasted a long time. David grew stronger and stronger, while the house of Saul grew weaker and weaker

I often assumed that David became King immediately after Saul had died, but here it shows that it was a long drawn out battle. God's will was eventually done.


- 2 Samuel 23: 15-17
David longed for water and said, “Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!” [16] So the three mighty warriors broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord. [17] “Far be it from me, Lord, to do this!” he said. “Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?” And David would not drink it. Such were the exploits of the three mighty warriors.

A great short story that shows the devotion of David's men, and David's love and respect for his men. Mainly this story shows to me David's commitment to God, he longed for the good water and when he got it he gave it back to God as an offering.

This ties in to our sermon in church last Sunday, am I willing to give to God my best and put him first even when I don't feel like it? Or am I thinking of myself first, taking care of myself before thinking of God?

- Finally, I notice the name of Uriah the Hittite on the list of David's mighty men. The same man who was killed by King David so he could take Uriah's wife who he lusted for. This proved to be one of King David's greatest mistakes (sins). God forgives all sin that we are truly sorry for.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: 2 Samuel 3:6-5:5, 1 Chronicles 11:1-3, 12:23-40, 2 Samuel 5:6-16, 1 Chronicles 11:4-9

2 comments:

Conrad said...

2 Samuel 23:15-17 stood out to me too. One reason because I wonder what the three men were thinking after they risked their lives and did what they thought what would have been a favour to David, only to have him not drink. And second, that would have been a powerful example to the others; them knowing how thirsty king David was, and yet he gave the water to the Lord while David had none.

Tammy said...

David's mighty men were completely devoted to him. David was a great leader when he was following his Leader, God. Unfortunately, when David temporarily turned away from God when he gave in to sin with Bathsheba, he murdered one of those very mighty men. What a betrayal!

It is to David's credit that he took no joy in the death of Saul. I can't even imagine that! Saul had been wanting David dead for years, and his death finally freed David and also opened the way for him to become king. And yet he didn't revel in that. Truly humble and patient, waiting for God's timing.