Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Wednesday, July 6: Proverbs 29-31 ~ Nathan

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Proverbs 29-31
A few verses that stood out to me as I read through this passage:

Proverbs 29:4
By justice a king gives a country stability, but those who are greedy for bribes tear it down.
A contradiction here between what a good king does and what greedy people do. The king thinks of the whole country and what's best for it, the greedy think only of themselves and what's best for them only. I want to be a team player (like the king) not thinking of only myself but of what's best for God's family.

Proverbs 30: 5,6
“Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.   Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.
When in trouble, do I take refuge in God? At all times good and bad,  do I go to Him first?
Also, God is supreme, do I think I can add or top what he is saying? 

Proverbs 31:30
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
As I get older,  I can appreciate this more and more,  I don't have the same youthful athleticism I once did, but I do strive to have a deeper knowledge of God.  This verse says to me that youthful traits will fade with time, but respect for God and knowledge of how He works will grow, for those that seek Him. Getting older isn't a bad thing after all, it can be  beneficial!

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Psalm 42-46

1 comment:

Tammy said...

29:11 Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back.

Ouch! I know I'm guilty of this one. There is a time and a place to vent, but generally, we do more unhealthy and destructive venting that inevitably makes the situation worse.

Proverbs 33 contains some amazing imagery!
30:4 Who but God goes up to heaven and comes back down? Who holds the wind in his fists? Who wraps up the oceans in his cloak? Who has created the whole wide world? What is his name - and his son's name? Tell me if you know!

We worship the One who hold the wind in his fists and wraps up the oceans in his cloak. Truly awesome, in the fullest sense of the word.

The description of a godly woman in Proverbs 31 can be daunting indeed. But it is a good reminder that we have never arrived, that there is always some area in our lives that needs improvement, and that we need to have our priorities in the right order.