Friday, November 11, 2016

Friday, November 11th: James 1-5 ~Conrad

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is: James 1-5

I found reading the book of James to go quite quickly from one topic to another.  The book of James stresses the importance of an active faith, being expressed through Christian living.

There were many topics that I could have commented on, but I am choosing to comment on the topic of temptation.

"When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;"  James 1:13  

Satan wants to have us question our faith by using various deceptive schemes to entice us to sin; seeds of doubt, unbelief, and rebellion.  Satan failed in his attempt in tempting Jesus while He was in the wilderness.

The Bible encourages us to resist temptation and stand firm in the faith.  God promises to help us resist temptation, and He assures us that He will not allow temptation beyond what we can endure.  

Temptation should not be confused with God's testing of our faith as a way of strengthening it.  By standing firm in the faith and resisting temptation, it will make our strength stronger, but the temptation comes from Satan, and our strength comes from God.

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Galatians 1-3

2 comments:

Nathan said...

James 2:26
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

A good reminder to me that I need to live my life with God first, not worrying about what the world will think or how my faith may hurt me in business. I need to show that God is first by how I act and talk.

Tammy said...

James is a great reminder that our faith is proved genuine by our actions - what do our lives say about our faith?