Sunday, January 1, 2017

January 1st: Genesis 1-3, Matthew 1 ~ Tammy

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Genesis 1-3, Matthew 1

I always find it fitting that the first day of the new year begins in Genesis.  Even though the description of creation already gives us plenty to imagine, it also leaves us with a lot of questions.

What did the Garden of Eden look like exactly?  Was it like a tropical rainforest?  The lush vegetation of BC?  Was there a waterfall and how big was it?

How long did Adam live without Eve?
How long did it take Adam to name all the animals?

How much like heaven was the Garden of Eden?

So many questions we'd love the answers to.  But what we do know is that it was good, and after the creation of the man and the woman it was very good.  Not only does this elevate humanity above the rest of creation, but it celebrates the relationship between husband and wife, the way it was intended to be.  A reminder to be thankful for my husband and to continue to be purposeful about investing in our relationship.

Switching to the NT passage, the book of Matthew is written to establish Jesus as King of the Jews which is why this genealogy traces the ancestry of Joseph, as kingship was passed from father to son.
It's also fitting that we're reading about the birth of Jesus just after celebrating it during the Christmas season.  So thankful that the King chose to leave the glory of heaven to be our Saviour!

Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Genesis 4-6, Matthew 2

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Genesis 3:12
The man said, “The woman whom you gave to be with me, she gave me fruit of the tree, and I ate.”

A reminder to me that I can't blame others for my sin, it is my choice and I need to seek forgiveness. If God tells us not to do something, I need to obey, and not blame others when I've made a mistake.

Miriam said...

I've often wondered how long it took Adam to name all the animals as well! I also wonder how long Adam and Eve lived and walked with God in the Garden of Eden before they sinned and were cast out.

There are so many incredibly beautiful things that God has created on Earth as it is now, in spite of the damage human beings have done - I have a whole Pinterest board of gorgeous photographs of God's handiwork. I am really excited to someday see His Paradise through "new and improved" eyes.

kjad said...

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading in Mathew, such a fitting verse because we just celebrated Christmas!:)

Jody said...

The repetition of "And evening passed and morning came, marking the first day." (second, third, etc) stood out for me from the Genesis passage. The repetition shows that God is constant and unchanging. I love how He sets this stage for this right away in Genesis 1. I also feel like He's assuring us that after every dark time, morning will come again.