Thursday, January 12, 2017

Thursday, January 12th: Genesis 29-30; Matthew 9:1-17

Today's passage from the Bible In a Year Reading Plan is Bible In a Year PassageGenesis 29-30; Matthew 9:1-17

In the NT portion of the reading today, a part that stuck out to me was when Jesus said, "Healthy people don't need a doctor - sick people do." (v 12). Jesus reaches out to everyone! He asked Matthew, a tax collector, to be his disciple. He doesn't just reach out to "healthy" people. This is a reminder to me to look around at the people in my life. It's easier to be friends and reach out to the "healthy" (the people who think like us and act like us), but Jesus came for everyone. Jesus calls us to love everyone, even the ones who are difficult to love.


Tomorrow's Bible In a Year Passage: Genesis 31-32; Matthew 9:18-38

3 comments:

Nathan said...

In our old testament reading we again see how imperfect the characters are, and yet God uses them. We see how Jacob is tricked into marrying two sisters, and even has children with one of their maids, we would think this person is a mess if this was one of our neighbors. We ourselves are also far from perfect, but God can use us still, I'm thankful for this.

kjad said...

After going on a very meaningful youth retreat, or after hearing a powerful sermon, it's hard to put what I learned into practice in my everyday life. In Mathew 9:17 it says, "Neither do men pour new wine into old wine skins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wine skins, and both are preserved." I love this verse because it reminds me that in order for me to put new knowledge to use in my day to day life, I need to change the way I live too.

Tammy said...

Very true Deena. Not to mention, we're probably the sick ones more than we'd like to admit!